Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oi

So I've already failed at posting once a week, but it seems we've gained a few new bloggers, so it's probably not such a big deal. For a while it was basically me, Celine, and her brother Julian, so it's nice to have someone other than ourselves posting!

I'm glad to have a break, because I'm REALLY FREAKING BUSY! Which I love. I don't like having idle time, because I tend to waste it, rather than doing anything productive. My days at Norton are great, and really make me want to go into publishing post graduation. Though I'm also considering translation between German and English, but that could be a freelance thing. I'm all about supplemental income. I'm in the process of writing some knitting patterns inspired by literature, which I could sell on Etsy or Ravelry, and, if successful, compile into a book and sell (like my knitting idol, Ysolda Teague). I'm trying to get organized, learn a bit about business, and sell cookies on an Etsy site under the store name Süß, which is German for "sweet." And then I could hire out translating services. All of this seems pertinent, especially if I go into publishing, which isn't super well paying at the start. And then, when I have kids someday, it'll be nice to have some extra income set in place.

If that "kids" statement was jarring to anyone, it just goes to show what you start to think about as a Junior in college. I'm about to turn 20, and in 2 years will be finished with college, and the future is daunting. I'm not sure if I want to go to graduate school, but I have to figure that out this year, I guess. And then there's the whole issue of what happens after I no longer have free housing and my parents aren't paying for my food and transportation fees anymore. The future freaks me out, but I'm also totally excited! I fantasize with IKEA and Crate and Barrel catalogs almost as much as some people do over Maxim. Enough said.

Anyway, I have a crap ton of work to do this break, and I spent nearly all of today sleeping. I've been getting a cold, so I figured I'd sleep while I had time - not only a lesser work load than I'll have in about 2 weeks, but nearly an entire week to finish it all. I DID do my Economics work in the 8 hours I was awake today, so that's a plus.

Anyway, happy Labor Day all!

Tschüss,

Katharine

1 comment:

  1. And I thought being a freshman was stressful...wow I can't imagine what senior year will be like. Good luck with the ever ambiguous future!

    ReplyDelete