Tuesday, February 8, 2011

there's never enough time to do what needs to be done.

and I say this because I am now juggling all of this stupid stuff to do AND the post office has lost my textbooks so I'm borrowing a book from my friend and just rebought a textbook from barnes & nobles today that has to be returned muy rapido (3 days!) to get a full refund. ridiculous! oh and to give you all a sense of how frustrated I am, the people at the mail room at the dorms AND the people at the post office now know me by name. wow. that is a first.

since this is a blog of truth, I am working on transfer applications to a few schools because there are some elements of macaulay that don't work well for me -- for other people, sure, for me, no.

I hate that hunter is a commuter school. I don't feel like I can make friends with people when they're running to their next class and I won't see them around later. it limits my friend base to people in the dorm and even that is a narrow friend base because there are some people here I just don't mesh well with.

I really don't like being on a floor of upper-classmen. or women. whatever. honestly, my side of the floor is unfriendly and it sucks. people don't try to make friends. I wish I had been put on a freshmen only floor.

I don't like english 120 and the fact that there is no alternate way to test out of it short of the ap. there is no reason for anyone in macaulay to take english 120. yes this is a generalization but to future readers, I hope someone does something about this absurd ger. you are in macaulay. you can write an argumentative paper with a thesis that you effectively prove. you are not in 7th grade.

I don't like feeling pressured to stay because it's free. if I were anywhere else at college, my parents would have had to pay. it is not right that I should be unhappy somewhere because it is free.

I hate that seminar events happen on days off and at night. this program encourages us to have internships, jobs, etc. do not then take my days off, days that could be spent doing extra-curriculars (or catching up on sleep) and devote them to more class. we do not have class for a reason. there is no reason seminars for macaulay should take precedence over a day of school that is closed.

why is it that one cannot take nutrition to fulfill the science requirement? that just makes absolutely no sense. nutrition or food science are NOT social sciences. psychology, fair, that can be a social science. NUTRITION? not so.

I want a campus. I want some green. or at least something more than a set of escalators and a set of seats by the subway that are overcrowded by people smoking.

there are probable more offenses but I will stop here for the sake of macaulay and it's posterity.
the end. back to work. lots more reading to do because, god for-freaking-bid, the usps get me my textbooks on time.

4 comments:

  1. The problems you are talking about can happen anywhere and are not Macaulay Hunter specific. Before you transfer, just remember that you took a spot away from other students who really wanted to be here. That student is probably just as unhappy as you are now at their second choice school. Also, remember that perspective students read this blog, posting rare and unusual experiences is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's perfectly fair for Sarah to blog about her frustrations here, and assume that readers can take it at face value. The whole point of this blog is that it's a view into the real day-to-day experiences of Macaulay students. And I don't think there is anything wrong with transferring - the fact that some other students didn't get Sarah's spot at MHC Hunter has nothing to do with whether or not it's the right place for her. Very few people come to a college planning to transfer - most transfer students have every reason to think that the school they pick will be right for them and it's really hard to know ahead of time.

    On a different note, when I was a Freshman we got to take English 221, which was 120 and intro to literature combined into a 4 credit honors class, and that was actually pretty good. It knocked out a GER too. It was new that year and apparently ended with us, and I have no idea why because it worked quite well, It thought.

    -Celine

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Celine for the support.

    I figured it wouldn't be wrong to blog about all these frustrations because this blog is the right place for them. no one should think that macaulay, like any college, is all rainbows and sunshine. some things, yes, are applicable to other schools. others are not and I'm allowed to be frustrated and warn other students of how they may feel if they come here.

    and so everyone knows, NPR has been doing many stories recently about the incredibly high transfer rate (50% of students to graduate from the college they started at)& the actions that other colleges & universities around america have been doing to bring that percentage down.

    and, there it is not 100% sure that I will transfer, even if I get in everywhere I apply so it is not fair to tell me that I took someone else's spot. I assert my right that I deserve to be here as much as the next macaulay student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i'm just wondering. if you want to transfer to another college, do you have to pay for the tuition that was cover by macaulay during the semesters you were at hunter?

    ReplyDelete