Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor day and Rosh Hashanah have combined to give us almost a full week off, and fall has finally fallen - it's a lovely 67 ℉ and overcast in New York City today - so life is pretty good. My break has been filled with a good balance of relaxation, working at the lab, and school work.

Having a full week to finish up the same amount of work that I would normally have to do over one weekend is making me feel pretty spoiled, but I'm also taking the time to really dig in and try to get this semester off to a good start. The last hour or so was devoted to German; after breezing through 4 semesters of German to meet my foreign language requirement, I'm now in a 300 level class on Hörspiele, German radio plays, which is much more challenging. My other main challenge this semester has been trying to remember how to write. I've always done a lot of writing, but my sophomore year was devoted to science classes that pretty much completely excluded that skill, so now that I'm faced with a variety of essays and personal statements looming on the horizon, I've spent a lot of time on my computer just banging out words and remind myself of how to piece them together.

Despite this nice mini-vacation, I already have midterms on my mind - it's just over two weeks until my first statistics and calculus tests and the due date of my first essay for introduction to ethics. Luckily the ethics essay is short and simple and on a topic that we've already finished covering in class, so I already have a rough draft of it (yes, I like to do things early. It's just less stressful that way).

I'm also going to my doctor for the third time in an effort to get the health clearance to get a volunteer ID at the NYU Medical center. Until then I'll continue having to call the lab every time I need to be let in...

And finally, this weekend my mother, brother, boyfriend and I will be heading off to DC to celebrate the 50th birthday of a close family friend, an exciting event which I really thought I would have to pass up, so I'm quite grateful for the good timing of this extended holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment