Monday, January 13, 2014

Upcoming Macaulay Interviews

I got an e-mail this morning about the opportunities to volunteer for interviews with Macaulay! I've asked to be assigned to the 25th of January and the 1st of February, so if your interview is set for those dates, you might see me there! There's a slimmer possibility that I'll be volunteering on the 26th as well, but I'm not banking on it.

I didn't have an interview with Macaulay when I applied, since they weren't encouraging us to do so as strongly. I felt like missing school to come into the City wasn't a good use of my time, but I do regret that. Interviewing would have been a responsible thing to do, and it would have improved my chances at getting in. Luckily, I got in in spite of my silly decision. I'm glad that they're giving students a chance to meet with someone who understands the goals of the institution. It's important to see how they can fit in person, rather than just on paper.

However, I did work as a volunteer for the interviews last year. Last year they were set up quite nicely, with food laid out while you wait and a video about Macaulay for students and parents to watch. Interviewees would be called into the room in batches and sit at a table with an interviewer, who was either a professor or an alumnus of Hunter or Macaulay. (It honestly looked like a speed-dating session) Most tables would have a current Macaulay student there to take notes and fill out the forms about the application, so the interviewer could focus on the potential student. You'd get your standard interview questions, and then they would ask if you had any questions for either the interviewer or the student.
Now remember: This was the set up LAST YEAR. I can't promise that this will be 100% accurate for this year's interviews.

Here are a few tips I picked up from the interviewers for when you have yours:

1. Be able to introduce yourself, but include something interesting. Everyone says "Hi my name is.... I want to study..... I go to this high school..." Tell me your name, your desired major, and then something interesting. Did you ride and elephant in India? Have you won your school's Poetry contests? Do you collect shrunken heads? (Keep that to yourself.) You want to stick out to the interviewer so they give you a recommendation that is founded on more than "They were kind of nice." One boy got a shining endorsement since he had a real passion for sneakers, and could talk intelligently and at length about them. It was something that hadn't been heard before and he was quite eloquent, and talking about his shoes let him show that.

2. Be personable. Ask your interviewer how they are doing. Give a good, firm handshake. Make plenty of eye contact. Speak clearly, loudly, and don't slouch. A good portion of how people perceive you is based on your body language.

3. When they ask you if you have any questions for them or the Macaulay student you're seated with, HAVE ONE. There is nothing that comes across worse than not having a question. Even if you think you already know the answer, ask. Because then people assume one of three things: you are so arrogant that you assume you know everything, you don't respect us enough to ask our opinions, or you just plain don't care about the school. None of these should be true, so you need to communicate an interest.

4. Remember the title and plot lines of at least one book you've enjoyed, be aware of the news that has happened over the past few days, and be able to name at least one song that you can listen to without cringing. If you've got a hero, be able to justify why they're important. One of the most important things you'll learn in college is how to take a stance and support it. If you demonstrate the ability to back up whatever you say, you'll impress the interviewer with how ready you are for the college environment.

5. Please have questions for us. It is so awkward when a student just walks away and doesn't have questions. It's awkward for them, it's awkward for the interviewers, and the last thing you want to do is make the ending of your interview awkward. (Yes, this bears repeating)

6. THANK YOUR INTERVIEWER AND THE STUDENT FOR THEIR TIME. We gave up our nights, our weekends, our somethings to come in and interview you. We don't have a full scholarship on the line. Our education isn't riding on this. I'll get a few community service hours for being here, if I remember to fill out the paperwork when I'm done. You get a full ride. The professor who interviews you might get a bagel and a cup of orange juice out of the deal. You get a laptop. Tell us thank you, and mean it. Its just plain common courtesy.

7. Make sure you look nice. Look yourself, but look polished. Also, eat a breath mint beforehand. The tables are small, and no one needs nervous-breath in their face as they try to talk to you.

8. Don't be ashamed to be nervous. It's okay to be nervous. Those who would tell you not to be are asking you to deny the human condition. Humans get nervous. That's okay - so long as you don't let it stop you. If you start to stumble, slow down and start again. Once you fix yourself once or twice, you can keep that rhythm. Most people would rather see you reign yourself in than to have you pretend you're not nervous.

Most of all, good luck to all of you. Let your personality shine, talk up your skills, and be willing to laugh at yourself if you've done something (appropriate) but embarrassing.

22 comments:

  1. Hi I was wondering what would be appropriate to wear to a college interview? (I'm a girl)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana! I think there's a lot of variety for what can be appropriate for a college interview. I think a skirt, shirt, (collared or not) and sweater/cardigan combination is very nice. Dresses are also a very comfortable way to be formal. Pants, like khakis or dress pants with a sweater or blazer is also very classy, especially when one of the pieces is colorful. Please don't wear jeans, and leggings are only acceptable if they are under a dress. I would say that a full suit would be too much, but I have seen people come in them and rock it. Sneakers aren’t acceptable, I’d go with boots or a Since this interview is in the City, I don’t advocate heels unless you’re quite confident in them. No joke, I fell down the escalators at Hunter the other day because I wasn’t paying attention and my heel caught. My philosophy is that you have to be comfortable, and the outfit should somehow reflect your personality. If you aren’t comfortable, it will show. So find you’re favourite “Damn I look GOOD TODAY” outfit, and rock that. You should dress nicer than you would for school, but less nice than if you were to meet the president.

      For gents, I think you’ve got it pretty easy. Slacks, button-down, and a blazer with that tie somebody got you for the last holiday (my brother always gets ties, I don’t know why. Is it a guy thing?) Or a classy sweater, that works too. Remember that if you decide to shoot your cuffs, you need to have them stick out at least an inch past the sweater sleeve. I advice you to do the same: be comfortable, and make sure it reflects your personality.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I was wondering if the interviewees have to speak in front of the whole group of students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Deirdre! I only know about the interview process for Macaulay Hunter so if you are applying to another campus, you should contact them directly with your question.

      If you're applying to Macaulay Hunter:

      The way the interviews have been done since I've been at Macaulay Hunter (I'm now a senior) is that applicants are interviewed by 2 people so you don't have to speak in front of a whole group of students. I believe the policy is the same this year, but you can email the staff at Macaulay Hunter just in case. The 2 people are generally composed of a faculty member/friend of the college and a student who takes notes about the interview on a computer. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Hi, does every Macaulay applicant receive an interview? Can you get in without an interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michael!

      It depends on the campus. Some campuses conduct interviews, and others don't. Macaulay Hunter conducts interviews, but I'm not sure if they offer an interview to every Macaulay Hunter applicant or only to those who they are impressed by. Contact the Macaulay Hunter office to get that answer. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hamza. :)

      Danielle is no longer writing for this blog, but I can answer your question (I'm the coordinator of this blog). Over 1000 students are given the opportunity to interview for 120 seats.

      Delete
  5. Hi Slavena!,

    I love this blog, it is so helpful! So I applied to Macaulay Hunter and I have not received any information on interviews. Does everyone get an interview? Should I email them about it? I am getting kind of worried that I may not get one... I'm not sure what to do.

    Thank you,
    Alina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alina! I'm glad that you find the blog helpful.
      I'm honestly not sure if they offer an interview to every applicant or only to those who they're seriously considering. I would send them an email and ask that question.

      Delete
  6. anyone know which campuses offer interviews and which don't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for the late reply! This blog was inactive for awhile.

      I know Hunter definitely offers interviews, but I'm not sure about the other campuses. Please contact them for further details!

      Delete
  7. Hello,

    I have an upcoming interview with Macaulay Hunter.
    This being my first interview, what questions can possibly be asked?
    How can I prepare for that?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Muskan!

      In the past, the questions have focused on your passions and how you think being at Macaulay Hunter will help you pursue them. One good way to prepare is to go on the Macaulay website, and make sure that you understand the different parts of the program. Also, make sure that you're able to talk about your high school experiences as well as your future goals.

      All the best!

      Delete
  8. Hello!
    My interview with Macaulay Hunter in a few days. I have never been interviewed before and I am more than nervous. For the question about how being at Macaulay Hunter, are there any answers people should stay away from? I guess what I'm trying to say is if there are any repetitive answers that interviewers are 'tired' of hearing? Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carolina!

      My best advice is just to be honest about why you're interested in the program. Don't worry if the interviewer has heard the answer before. As long as your genuine interest comes through, that's what matters! Make sure you understand the different parts of the Macaulay Hunter program and why they appeal to you.

      In the past, students have not been required to bring their resumes to the interview.

      Best of luck on your interview!

      Delete
  9. Hello! Follow-up question!
    Do we bring our resumes to our interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I apologize that no one answered your question last year. I've graduated and no one is running the blog right now. (Hopefully, we'll get someone soon though!)

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    I just found this site. I was wondering if you can tell me how this year's interviews conduct. As my invite to the interview states it is a panel interview. What is the setting? How to approach it differently than one on one interviews? My interview is tomorrow. I hope you can reply before that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rose.

      Sorry for the late response! In previous years, each applicant got interviewed by two people simultaneously. I believe that it's the same way this year.

      Delete
  11. Hello! I'm wondering if the interview process is the same for this year as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I apologize for the late reply. No one is running the blog right now. Hopefully, you had your question answered by someone else!

      Delete