Friday, November 9, 2012

I thought I would be more productive.


The amount of time I spend at school has now dramatically increased. (Thanks, Sandy.) I thought that this would mean that I got all my reading done early, did all my papers, and became and incredibly productive member of this college. I was excited because I thought that I would get so much done, and still be able to sleep and have something that resembles a social life.
What really happened is I spend more time on Tumblr, Facebook, and AddictingGames than I ever have before. And my papers are still getting written in the dead of night, the reading is still done on the way to class, and I don’t even get to sit around with my friends in our giant seven hour procrastination sessions anymore. 

I'm commuting into the school from either Brooklyn or Babylon, depending on the day. So I spend anywhere between one to three hours getting to school. I have four hour breaks between my classes, some portions of which match the gaps my friends have so we can hang out.
But mostly, I just sit around on my laptop.

I have a new enormous respect for the kids who commute to school year- round. Hunter is considered a mainly commuter school. There is something close to 15,000 students, and only about 700 live in the dorms. So if you talk to a student, odds are they spent some ridiculous amount of time on the train that morning, and are planning to spend just as long to get back.

What  a gift those dorms are. You never really appreciate what you have until you loose it, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment