Wednesday, September 22, 2010

And they'll continue to welcome us on the last day of finals

They might. I wouldn't put it past this school and this program. Apparently neither would Hunter College President Jennifer Raab as she joked about the October date in her speech this morning at the Roosevelt House for the 2010 Macaulay at Hunter Convocation. We "new freshman" have been here for a whole month now. My navigation skills still border on pathetic, but I'm pretty sure we aren't greenhorns any more.

This being said, I liked what is hopefully the last leg of my orientation. Although I regret missing the gripping analysis of Lady Gaga as a postmodern figure as I did when I left my Intro to Media lecture early to go to Convocation, it was worth it. Getting there was cakey. (I'd like to give a shout-out to Macaulay @ Hunter Coordinator Betsy Elias for encouraging my made-up words.) The event was good, even if not all of my peers were able to get seating. The aforementioned President Raab, along with members of the Hunter faculty and student body made really persuasive arguments for getting involving in the school and various internships and departments. Not that it took much to persuade the the crowd. My classmates are a driven bunch. The refreshments served afterwards were delicious. The Roosevelt House, which I was lucky enough to tour afterwards, is gorgeous. I never really saw myself as a public policy student, but I think their beautiful, historic building would be an ideal place to study.

Study...like I should be doing right now. I get very sidetracked when I attempt to study in my dorm room. As a result, I've been staying in the Hunter Library late to get work done. I'm going to do some history reading now.

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment