Sunday, November 10, 2013

This is basically just me fangirling over British television, move along.

OK so I have to admit that I am a pretty big Doctor Who fan (not to to the point of watching the really bad seasons with the terrible special effects, see here) and I am flipping out about he 50th Anniversary Special that's coming up very quickly. If you're a Whovian or have a Tumblr account, you know about the 50th Anniversary Special because it's all the Doctor Who Tumblr can post about. I'll admit that NewWho was a little lame when it first started in 2005 (like most shows in 2005, maybe it was just a lame year). However, the show has quickly caught on for me, mainly because of its superb storytelling abilities and witty characters. Not to mention that I'm squealing about the possibility of my two favorite doctors (Ten and Eleven, aka David Tennant and Matt Smith) together on a television, plus JOHN HURT?! I just can't help but get excited when I hear the Doctor Who music and just hum (or sing obnoxiously) along, honestly. So epic.

Anyway, I have two other things to talk about here. First, for the past week I've gone to a ton of events. I sat down one evening with the Macaulay Monday newsletter, the Hunter Gatherer, and the CUNY This Week newsletter and read through everything going on. I chose to go to three different events, but I'll only talk about one or two of them here.

First, one of my friends invited me and my boyfriend to the Augusten Bourroughs talk at Hunter on Tuesday (part of the Distinguished Writers Series). He was doing a reading of his work and just generally talking. I had read one of his earlier memoirs, Running With Scissors when I was in high school. Like most memoirists that I know and enjoy, Augusten Bourroughs's stories are the type that make your jaw drop and your stomach curl. They're just so unbelievable, yet they're true. As my mother would say, you know it's all true because you just couldn't make this stuff up. Other memoirists of this fashion that I enjoy include David Sedaris (I would recommend all of his work, but especially While You are Engulfed in Flames) and Jeanette Walls (The Glass Castle). I have been astonished and saddened by the stories I've read in these memoirs. Most of all, I've laughed so hard it turned to that silent kind of laughing that almost kind of hurts but you can't stop.

Second, I went to support my friend Sam's acapella group Hawkapella as they sang in front of Hunter West and then outside of Central Park. They sang Animal by Neon Trees, I'm Yours by Jason Mraz, and Some Nights by fun.

Hawkapella singing outside Central Park.

Both Macaulay and Hunter have acapella groups (The Macaulay Triplets and Hawkapella respectively). I have a lot of friends in the Triplets and will be going to see their performance on November 23rd, but it's just nice to see someone from Macaulay branch out and join a group that's not Macaulay-exclusive. I think it's just something unique about Macaulay that it's a community within a larger community.

The second thing I have to talk about is the internship craze currently going on in my class. Everyone in pre-med and pre-business and pre-law and Flagship and everything is freaking out over their internships, going to conferences to learn about them, and applying to different programs. As a Macaulay student, we are required to complete either a study abroad program or an internship which the program pays for. Definitely not complaining about the fact that I'll get to go abroad for free. But I always thought it was a pipe dream for me to even think about internships, considering I'm an English major and all the internships are in medicine, business, law, or something completely unrelated to English in any way possible. Well, this week I got the Hunter Gatherer and what did I find? A HarperCollins conference about internships in book publishing. I actually squealed when I saw this because a) I am an English major and want to learn all about the book publishing industry and b) my dad was in the industry for years and I want to follow in his footsteps by becoming an editor or publisher or something in the field. This is my perfect opportunity to learn about my options! So I'm pretty excited for that, since this didn't seem to be an option to me before.

OK, that's all my squealing for today. Later, guys.

P.S. The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special will be aired on November 23rd on BBC America, or online the next day. It's also being shown in theaters throughout the country. Here's a guide to how to watch it.

2 comments:

  1. Honey, Nine is the best Doctor. He just blossomed so beautifully. How can you not love such good character development? He's the only Doctor that actually becomes HAPPIER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I acknowledge that Nine was a great Doctor, but he just wasn't around long enough for me to grow attached to him (unlike Ten, who was around for, like, ever). Plus, I started watching NewWho retroactively and the episodes I actually saw in real time were from Ten and Eleven. *shrugs*

      Delete