Thursday, September 16, 2010

We're a few weeks in now and school is starting to really heat up. The first few homework assignments are starting to be handed back, and talk is turning to mid-terms which are just about two weeks away for many classes.

Other aspects of the semester are also getting under way. This Tuesday was the kick-off reception for the Hunter Mentoring Program which I'm in this fall, in which students are paired with a mentor, often a Hunter alum, to help guide and give insight on the professional world. My mentor is a very pleasant clinical psychiatrist, so she's in a rather different field from what I'm interested in but I'm sure I'll be able to learn from her. Today, I'm meeting my own mentee; in the past the Honors College ran a mentor-mentee program in which every Freshman was paired with an upperclassmen to help out and answer questions during that confusing "wait I'm in college now" transition, or at any other time really. That system didn't work so well as many of people on both sides were a bit apathetic about it, so now Freshmen only get mentors if they actually want them - cool concept. I'll be meeting mine today and hopefully imparting semi-useful information now and in the future.

Time to pack up the laptop and head to class.

- Celine

No comments:

Post a Comment