Saturday, September 4, 2010

Allow me to re-introduce myself...

Hello readers! Anyone who's been following this blog for some time might find the following information repetitive, but for new readers...

My name is Kaitlyn, and I'm a sophomore here at Macaulay Hunter. I'm a double History/Special Honors major - Special Honors is code for the Thomas Hunter Honors program, which essentially requires taking a few interdisciplinary classes of your choice and has some perks (kind of like Macaulay!). I'm still trying to figure out a minor/additional major - the choices are German, Public Policy and the Adolescent Education sequence (which prepares you to be a 7-12 teacher).

I took German for my language requirement here at Hunter, and absolutely loved it (Hunter's German department is amazing) so I spent the month of June studying abroad in Kassel, Germany (for free, of course - thanks to my Opportunities Fund money from Macaulay). It was an absolutely amazing experience.

I spent the rest of my summer working as a camp counselor at Unirondack (a Unitarian summer camp in the Adirondacks), which was so much fun and really inspiring as well.

So basically, if anything my summer just made my decision even harder. My goal is to have made my decision by the end of this semester, so that I can declare it in the Spring (my Spring schedule is mostly set regardless of what I choose).

Speaking of schedules, this is what my schedule looks like this term:
German 301 - Your basic third year German language course.
History 276.5 - History of the Middle East to 1800 - for my major
History 3 - The Early Republic - ditto
MHC 200 - Science and Technology in NY - One of those awesome Macaulay Seminars
Statistics 213 - Basic intro to statistics class, which satisfies a requirement for my Special Honors major and is required for both the Adolescent Education sequence and the Public Policy minor

So now that that boring info is out of the way, A FUNNY STORY ABOUT MY FIRST WEEK BACK AT HUNTER...
Last Tuesday, I headed to Brookdale to check into my new dorms. Low and behold, when I unlocked the door to my room, somebody else had clearly moved in already! It turned out that some Macaulay freshman (whose identity is, as of yet, still unknown to me) had moved into my room. It's still unclear why/how she got moved into my room, but the Residence Life office spent the next couple of days trying to reach her to move out so that I could move in. They were unsuccessful, and when I found that out, I have to say, I was more than a little upset. I was very attached to my dorm room - perfect location (all girls 24 hr quiet floor, near the elevators and bathroom, right across the common room from the kitchen, and the courtyard side of the building). Then I walked into the room I had gotten instead. Not only do I have all the same location perks, I got a BIGGER dorm room. So thank you, unidentified Macaulay freshman. I'll probably have to switch rooms in the Spring (I believe the bigger dorm rooms are usually reserved for handicapped students), but for now, I'm enjoying the extra space.

1 comment: