Monday, September 20, 2010

Gettin' It Together

It's been exactly 19 days since my last post on the blog, and I'm starting to get into a real "groove" of getting college-level work done at the high level Macaulay Hunter demands. I kind of got shook out of it over the last two weeks, for myriad reasons: two weeks ago, the school-week barely existed due to the holidays (as elucidated here, here, and here), and last week because I was commuting back and forth from Queens, an especially draining series of trips due to the fact that the reason for my commutes was for viewings and a funeral for my grandfather, who died last Sunday.

The classes continue to be hard work - the readings are long, the assignments just starting to become plentiful - but they're enjoyable. My Expository Writing course is a lot more fun than I thought it would be - I thought it would be just another "How to Write an Essay" course, and largely it is, but Professor Robbins is at least amiable. Arts in New York, the first of the MHC courses (they're not CHC courses anymore!), is a sort of strange course, largely because we've met in a different location each week - one week, it's the Museum of the City of New York, another week it's the World Youth Alliance for a concert, and another week it's back at Hunter - but it's incredibly enjoyable.

My favorite class by far, though, is my course on the Dreyfus Affair. I'm one of only two freshmen in the class (unsurprising, considering it's a 300-level History course), but I think I'm holding my own, in spite of the large amounts of reading and the grade being largely based on a daunting final paper. Professor Schor (who, incidentally, was the founding dean of what was then CUNY Honors College) is an expert in the field of French history, and is extremely approachable.

On the other hand, there's my First Amendment Law course. Professor Cohen likes to hear the sound of his own voice. A lot. It seems as though he's interested in the material - as am I - but I haven't learned very much so far (it doesn't help that it's a one-day-a-week course, in which we've only met three times). Hopefully, I'll pull through.

No comments:

Post a Comment