Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Friday Scheduling "Ahead of Time"

Because of all the three day weekends, yesterday operated on a Friday schedule. My lack of regular Friday classes allowed me to ease even more into the school year.

During the morning, I read for media and English and did a brief history assignment. It was great having the health science library so near by. (I used it for printing) I also did laundry. The laundry room is underground and the area surrounding it borders on creepy, but it is also a great convenience. I was able to relax in my room while clothing got cleaned and dried....just as I would at home.

My day didn't really get exciting until sunset. I attended a special premiere for a documentary called "Ahead of Time" at Cinema 2 on 59th Street with friends from the Hunter Hillel (who's open house I attended the night before) and the Macaulay Honors College. "Ahead of Time" was directed by Robert Richman of "An Inconvenient Truth" and "September Issue" fame and it profiles the life of Ruth Gruber. Both director and his 97-year-old star were in attendance and participated in a question-and-answer session afterward. I was so stoked to be introduced to Ruth Gruber by the event coordinator upon walking in. A Jewish resident of Brooklyn, she was the youngest person to receive a PHD and traveled the world as a diplomat and foreign correspondent. She was among the first to write on the Soviet Artic and Alaska. She welcomed refugees to America in a secret mission during World War 2 and covered the story of refugees on the Exodus 3 years later. Her words changed world politics in a time where few women had public voices. She was as sharp (and hilarious) today as she was then. It was a truly inspirational night.

No comments:

Post a Comment