Friday, September 24, 2010

Sunrise

After getting up in the dark four days in a row, it was nice to actually miss the sunrise today. I purposely left my Fridays class-free and internship-free for exactly this purpose - it's my sleep-in/mental health day after weeks like this one, which just felt overwhelmingly busy.
That being said, I am absolutely LOVING my internship with Council Member Brewer (which I found on the Macaulay maintained internships list). On Tuesday morning, I got up really early so I could be at a school on the Upper West Side (the Council Member's District) and pass out fliers about/try to get signatures in support of the Paid Sick Time legislation CM Brewer is sponsoring. It was pretty successful - we got over 100 signatures - and it felt nice to be truly involved in trying to get a law passed that I personally support. Then I got to attend an event about immigrant workers in NYC on behalf of the Council Member, which was really interesting (and I got free lunch!) Other than that, I've spent most of my time in the Council Member's city hall office - sometimes doing the mundane work that must be done in any office (answering phones, making copies, filing) but more often writing correspondence - thank you letters, letters on behalf of constituents, etc. - which can be really enjoyable.
This internship is pushing me toward declaring a minor in public policy - I attended an Admissions forum about public policy graduate schools on Wednesday at the Roosevelt House (Hunter's brand new Public Policy institute) and that seems like a career path I might really want to pursue.
But for now, I'm enjoying my day off, since I get to wake up early and see the sunrise again tomorrow - the Class of 2013 is taking a field trip to Black rock. Enjoy your weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment