Saturday, September 6, 2014

The robin is the one...

Hey, everyone!

I'm posting on a Saturday night because I got home late yesterday and had to do some work earlier today. Yes, it was as tiring as it sounds. :p

I've been trying to get myself organized in terms of when to do which work and when to have social time and when to have "me" time and when to sleep. I've been keeping up with everything so far, but time will tell if I can continue to be consistent with time management and reviewing my notes on a regular basis. The semester always starts off with a lot of motivation, but somewhere in the middle, things get overwhelming, and it becomes easy to fall behind. That's why I like to stay ahead of schedule and have a plan for what I'll be doing each day. It saves me a lot of headaches.

And I push away the little voice in my head that says, "Go on Facebook for an hour instead of doing these practice problems." haha.

I have an English class this semester, which I already love. It's actually my first English class in two years. It focuses on the work of Emily Dickinson, Marianne Moore, and Gertrude Stein. During our first class session, we did a dictation, which was a lot of fun because afterwards, we talked about the differences in how we interpreted what we heard. We also wrote an in class diagnostic essay, which was my first one since my English 220 final during my sophomore year!

We're starting with Dickinson's work. I've read some of her poems before, and this a great chance for me to understand her work more deeply.

This is a good one:

The robin is the one
That interrupts the morn
With hurried, few, express reports
When March is scarcely on.

The robin is the one
That overflows the noon
With her cherubic quantity,
An April but begun.

The robin is the one
That speechless from her nest
Submits that home and certainty
And sanctity are best.


On Thursday, I didn't have class, but I just came in to see a friend who I haven't seen since July. We caught up on each other's lives, and he let me know that he was no longer pre-med. He decided on doing nursing instead. Whenever I hear about people changing their minds about their careers, I always applaud them for their foresight in seeing that a particular career is not right for them. It would be terrible to get your degree(s) and then realize that you are not happy with your career. It happens to people all the time, and they are able to successfully start a new career, but it's better to realize and change your path early on in life. It will just save you a lot of worry, money, and time. 

But saying all that, sometimes these "mistakes" need to happen in order for you to understand what you really want. I'm the kind of person who believes that "everything happens for a reason", and I think that going down the "wrong" path is sometimes necessary in order for you to see the right one. 

Later that day, I also spoke to friends who are worried about taking the DAT and the MCAT. I'm in that boat myself, and those exams really begin to weigh on your mind as you get closer to applying to dental/med school. I keep telling myself that all I can do is give it my all and be efficient in my studying. Great scores are achieved with effort. 

I also met a Macaulay Hunter student in her sophomore year who had some worries about the pre-med track. She seemed like she was on top of everything but was having some trouble making choices about which major(s) she would most be happy with. I sat down with her for a few minutes and listened to her worries, and tried to give her some advice about what I knew. I shared some personal experiences about my past struggles with classes or "the pre-med life", and I was honest about anything that I couldn't help her with. I think sometimes all that people need is someone to listen to them and to make them feel like they're not alone in their struggles. It's the worst feeling when you're grappling with problems, and you're alone in trying to solve them. 

I was able to recruit some new MacBloggers from the freshman class, and I'm looking forward to hearing about their experiences so far! A few of them told me that the MacBlog helped them in the college decision process, and I was happy to hear that. 

S.

Quote of the Week

“Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.” 

~ Socrates

No comments:

Post a Comment