Sunday, October 31, 2010

Long Week

The title says it all. Been editing essays, studying for my tests next week, and doing research for my research paper. Also I been trying to readjust my sleep schedule ever since my trip to Boston. I was there visiting some college friends at MIT and BU and yeah I know it is in the same time zone, so you may be wondering why I would ever need to readjust my sleep schedule.
The night I arrive at MIT, my friend takes me to a frat party. I also saw a friend from Wellesley as well as a friend Harvard. As you would expect at any college frat party, there was a great deal of drinking and some people getting seriously high. I had a few drinks with my friend and his friends. But after having school and then lab and then a 5 hour bus ride where the bus driver was tap dancing with the breaks, I decided that I really wanted to go back to his dorm and call it a night. My friend told me nicely that he had to stay for his frat until 2 a.m. so not knowing my way around I decided to stay with him. 2 a.m. finally comes and when I looked for him in the frat house, I found him helping out a friend who had a bit too much to drink. This isn't the first time I saw someone having to throw up because he/she had too but seeing the bad condition he was in I decided to help out. I was seriously afraid that the dude had alcohol poising since all he did was throw up and not respond. It wasn't until 5:00 a.m. that I got out of the frat house after the paramedics came to pick him up.
This isn't meant to discourage anyone from going to MIT or saying that all MIT kids are the same (there are some seriously nice and responsible ones I met that night) but on the way back my friend and I had a talk. He told me more about the drama that he had seen between his newly made friends. I think all college students have this need to be bigger and take on new things and responsibilities, but through the people I met that night and the words of my friend, I began to realize how it was badly misconstrued in the midst of needing to prove yourself to others. My friend and I both went to Stuyvesant and we both know what is like to be in the circles of the most competitive students in one of the most competitive schools. It is not to say Macaulay is not competitive, because it is. Maintaining a 3.5 GPA unless you want to be kicked out, and meeting people who have the credentials for top schools such as Columbia and Dartmouth, who also wants to get to the same med or law schools, means competition as well. However, as my friend told me how he was disgusted at the fact that most of the drunk kid's "friends," who claimed to care about him, simply sat on the side gossiping with one and another while me, a stranger, helped and watched over him, I began to miss my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment