Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."

I realized I haven't MacBlogged in a few weeks, so I'm not going to do a rundown day by day of what y'all have missed (because that would simply take too long). Instead, I want to talk about how my program (and the week that encapsulates it) works. I'll start off on Tuesday, because (a) I'm weird and (b) it actually segues better.

Tuesday: I generally wake up at around 8:30 for my 11:10 class. I eat breakfast (generally either scrambled eggs, toasted English muffins or cereal), read articles from the morning's New York Times online, shower, prepare my lunch and then at around 9:30 or 10 I leave to walk to 68th Street. (Even though it's 43 blocks to Hunter from the dorms, it's really the first time I've ever been able to walk to school, so I do it anyway - unless it's cold, or rainy, or I'm running late, in which case I take the bus or the train up.)

After my Expository Writing class (which so far has been going really well, largely because I write a lot but also because Professor Robbins really knows his stuff (he's a really nice guy too)), I eat my lunch - generally leftovers from the past few days prior - and then do a bit of reading and review for my next class, The Dreyfus Affair. Often after reading, I'll nap (thank goodness for the comfy chairs on the 6th floor of Hunter West) and then have a snack before my class starts at 3:45. After my class ends at 5:00, I go back to the dorms, either walking or taking the train. Once at the dorms, I watch Jeopardy! at 7:00, then have dinner, and finally do work, research, read, and listen to music.

Wednesday: This is always the funky day in the week, as I have my MHC course, Arts and Culture in New York. It meets in a different place each week: one week it's in Hunter West, the next at MoMA, the next at the Jazz Museum in Harlem, and then back to Hunter West again. Generally an hour prior to the class, which begins at 2:10, I meet in a large group with my advisor, Charlotte, who is absolutely amazing at what she does (that's something that's not mentioned enough about the Macaulay Honors program, the wonderful advising available). After class at 4:40, I return back to the dorms and continue what I usually do.

Thursday: Due to a fortuitous quirk in my program (and due to only having four classes), Thursday's my off day. I sleep late, de-clutter my room, do laundry, and make the meal for the rest of the week, along getting work done and a doing bit of light reading. On occasion, I use my Cultural Passport to go to a museum.

Friday: FRIDAY! Basically, I do the same thing as Tuesday, except sometimes I go visit a museum after class (a great number of museums are open late Fridays).

Saturday: Sleep. That's about it. (It's my connection to my Jewish heritage - willingly or unconsciously, I don't do any work on Saturday. (Though, at this point, the Ultimate Frisbee club and team are starting up, so I'll have to wake up early for that.)

Sunday: Generally, Sunday's my day to finish any remaining work for Monday and Tuesday, do a bit of reading, and watch the Jets. Otherwise, it's similar to Saturday, what with all the sleeping late and laziness. Plus, Sunday's my pancakes day. Either Sunday or Monday, I go to Trader Joe's to get groceries for the next week.

Monday: Monday's kind of great because my only class begins at 3:10. I get to sleep a bit later than usual, waking up generally around 11, often watching that weekend's Saturday Night Live while eating breakfast (thank you Hulu) before leaving at around 1:30. My First Amendment Law class, which has actually improved pretty greatly over the past three weeks or so (reason being, in a nutshell, less tangents and more focus) is at Roosevelt House (on Park and 65th), making for a slightly different, and slightly shorter walk up. (As a bonus, I don't have to use those infernal turnstiles.). After class ends (generally about 10 or 15 minutes late for one reason or another), I walk down Park Avenue back to the dorms to do work and continue the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment