Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Learning is fun?

Right now, I am strongly reminded of something my chemistry professor said to the class last spring. We were talking about studying, probably in the context of a tests, and he said something along the lines of: you know, people will tell you that learning is fun. But it's not really that fun, or at least not all the time. The actual process of learning is frustrating and confusing and difficult. But if you feel like that you know that you really are learning, and the rewards are worth it.

That's exactly how I feel right now, as I'm fighting with complicated math homework. Especially so because I really want to understand this, seen as math is incredibly important for the fields I'm interested in, and it's like taking a hike through jello right now - I can't see where I'm going and there's a lot of resistance.

But yes - the rewards really are worth it, especially when it's a subject you honestly want to know. My midterm looming less than a week away, and the fact that I have another test to study for as well, are adding to the stress. But it does feel good to sit down and grapple with this stuff. Studying is often like that, for me at least; I don't want to do it, but when I finally do it actually makes me feel better.

Now, back to that jello....


-Celine

No comments:

Post a Comment