Monday, October 4, 2010

7 Events in 7 days that I could have blogged about but didn't....untill now

In high school, I was active in many extra-curriculars and always had something outside my house scheduled to do every day of the week. While I have made friends and explored the city, College hasn't really been like that for me. It's been nice to get 8+ hours of sleep, but as of this week I can feel myself returning to my prior state of mind. Hunter's club fair is in two days (I can't wait!), but this week was busy in its own right. I didn't write a blog but ,in addition to the usual chores, classes and homework,....

on Monday, I took a tour of art in the Subways with my Arts and Culture of New York City Class. The work was very impressive, although I did know where most of it was already. It was great to learn the backstories involving certain pieces and the MTA employee kept us from looking too weird as we stared up in the ceiling with awe.

on Tuesday, I had "Dinner with the Dean" and business woman Carla Harris at the Macaulay building. Our guest was very motivational and the food was quite yummy. I haven't finished the book or taken a job...but if I do, my future looks bright.

on Wednesday, I went to "Fall for Dance" with my classmates from my MHC Seminar. The four professional performances were of mixed quality, but it was a nice night. All of the girls in my seminar live on the same floor as me. We had fun getting dressed up and going back and forth to the city center together.

on Thursday, I got a call from my best friend from high school. She was at a concert in the city with another of and wanted to know if I wanted to meet up with them after it. I took the subway back and forth from Penn Station and had dinner and walked around Times Square. Encounters like this are why I love being somewhat close to home.

on Friday, I went to the Morgan Library with fellow Mac Blogger Daniel Pecoraro. I couldn't really match his walking pace or enthusiasm en route to the Library, but really appreciated the Mark Twain, Roy Lichtenstein and Edgar Degas exhibits. And to think, I got to see really incredible works of art for free. (Which is actually something I did on Monday and Tuesday too.)

on Saturday, I had Tech Seminar at the Macaulay building. We worked on our e-portfolios, which was something we had already learned about in class. It would have been a flat-out-waste of time, if it wasn't such a pleasant reminder of the many great freshman in Macaulay outside of Hunter (although Macaulay at Hunter is definitely the best branch of Macaulay =) Later, at 8 p.m., in the Macaulay building, the Macaulay 24-hour play festival came to a start. I met the people that I would be directing, some of whom were professional actors. We also learned that our 10 minute play would start with the line "3:45 a.m. That's absurd.," include the line "Stop what you're doing and look at me." and feature an Obama mask. I had no clue how our script writer was going to make things work out.

on Sunday, I saw how he did it, and spent my morning directing a hilariously clever dark comedy about circus workers plotting their escape and watched its performance at 8:00 that night. My family came in for my college directorial debut. A great time was had by all.

Today was a very laid back kind of day. But with ComicCon, Columbus Day, Snapshot day, the visits of more friends from home and two papers' due dates on the horizon, I'll be in over my head again before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment