Sunday, October 10, 2010

Art seems to be a big part of life lately...

I finally have enough time (and have recovered sufficiently enough from sickness) to post up a new entry! I also have a great gap period where I primarily only have reading and studying that I have to do for my classes. But assignments will be due soon enough, as always.

I thought I would start by talking about my wonderful internship. I am an Apprentice Museum Educator at the Rubin Museum of Art on West 17th Street and 7th Ave. My responsibility is to help my supervisors manage teen and school education programs and to stimulate excitement about Tibetan and Himalayan art. So far, I really love it! I am amazed by how wonderful the teenagers are whom I work with and how passionate they are about life and about art. They want to be tour guides and to teach about art and we get to help them. To work with your people is a very fulfilling experience for me. So far, my fellow interns and I have done a lot of reading on Buddhism, Hinduism, and aspects of art from the Himalayas. This past Friday, we had our first training session on school tours and pre-visits to schools. In addition, on Tuesday, I went to the Rubin Museum of Art's after party to celebrate their annual fundraiser gala. It was an amazing experience to watch my supervisors and the whole education department let loose, and dance like maniacs. I was surprised that the education staff were the life of the party. There was free Indian food, traditional singing and dancing and the museum cafe was transformed into an exotic and chic night lounge!

As for my classes, they have been going pretty well so far. I am still waiting on some project grades but I feel like they went relatively well. I need to revise a paper for my Thomas Hunter Honors Program class by Wednesday but the grade wasn't bad at all so it should come out fine. This semester I am only taking four classes due to my internship and other things that I want to do like establish/start up the Sociology Club and make a website of my artwork. In high school, I churned out a bunch of pieces for my AP Studio Art class and I have been wanting to create my own website for awhile. I also want to get back into creating art and do A LOT of photography this semester. The city is such a great place for inspiration in my opinion and lately I have been walking around thinking, "Wow! If only I had my camera!" or "That would look great in pastel!" We will see what happens. I just need to get moving and make stuff happen!

I will wrap up with a quote by Mr. John Lennon, as it was his birthday on Saturday:

"When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can't really function you're so full of fear

A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be "

P.S. I promise picking a major and career is not that scary (at least in my experience). =] I just think it's a very good song because it expresses inequalities and contradictions present within society clearly and effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment