Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Eve in Argentina

Yesterday, I woke up quite early, but apparently not early enough for breakfast. Besides, I wanted to lie in bed for a while. Sometime later, I got myself up and took a shower in order to wake up. Around noon, my friends and I went out to look for a Mexican restaurant because we were craving some guacamole and burritos.

We walked around, but we couldn’t find a Mexican restaurant. The one that we found was not opened because it was New Year’s Eve. As such, there was going to be a celebration later at 9:30 pm. Since we knew that there was going to be a lot of food later on, we only ate some fruits and a salad.

Around 9:15 pm, everyone got ready to go to the New Year Eve’s Party. We walked 10 blocks and arrived at the restaurant, which was situated on the harbor. There were a lot of appetizers, but many of them were too salty for me. I didn’t even know what the contents of half of the appetizers were. Yet I tried them as I was set to taste what Argentineans think good Argentinean food is.

The main course was steak, of course, and there were barely any vegetables to balance out the meat. After we finished our main meal, we went outside to watch the fireworks that went off when the clock struck twelve. I have to say, though, it was so windy and cold that I thought Argentina had gotten it’s seasons mixed up.

We stayed outside for quite a while and then went in to find out that everyone was on the dance floor. It was then that I saw what the real Argentinean spirit looked like. Around 1:30 am, they served us ice cream on a brownie with a drizzle of fruit syrup. We walked back to our hotel around 2 am and fell asleep immediately after we hit our beds as we were thoroughly exhausted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment