Thursday, January 7, 2010

Summer in Sunny Argentina

Today is the only 3rd official day of Spanish Class in Argentina, but I feel like I've been here for at least a month already. I am already so accustomed to the different schedule here and the weather. The sun shines brilliantly everyday as if it were telling me, "I told you so...you are enjoying Argentina!"

Nevertheless, I am still not used to the food here. The food comes in the most extremes of extremes. It's either very, very sweet or very, very salty. There is not a lot of variety here in Mar del Plata. There's no Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, nor Indian food, the cuisines I have grown up with. There isn't even typical Hispanic food! Can you believe that?! There's only Italian food; everything is Italian!

So, one would think that after the trouble she went through to get on this study abroad program, the level that she needs to be placed in for Spanish would be available. But no! So, I need to be placed in level C+; however, only levels A, B, B+, C, & D exist. I was placed into level D, at first, but that was too dificult for I have never read any work of Spanish literature before. Thus, I was moved to level C, but that level is rather easy. However, I'm going to stick with level C because even though I've learned the material before, it's a very good review, especially because I'm dealing with a foreign language here. And besides, the teachers are going to give me additional work, so it should be fine.

Despite my complaints, I am pretty happy to be here, with the sun radiating warmth and all. I am experiencing something that most college students cannot: life in another country, surrounded by another culture. Even though NY has a wider array of food than Argentina, I am still determined to enjoy Argentina to the best of my ability because who knows when I will get another chance at an amazing opportunity?

1 comment:

  1. Im going to Argentina next month, to an apartment for rent in Buenos Aires. I´ve been told that food there is amazing!! the "asado" and all the meat there!!! I dont know what happens there in Mar del Plata!!!!. Did you try the bbc??

    ReplyDelete