Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lazy days

This is a weird time of school limbo, at least for myself and several other people I've talked with, because we've had two days of class, and we know that by next week or the one after at the latest we'll be incredibly busy yet again, but for right now we're just not that busy at all. The general consensus is to act like you're busy, so that you get in the habit. Along that vein I spent a good bit of yesterday reading for various classes, and the rest of it mostly sleeping in hopes of fighting off this really badly timed cold which hit me on the first day of class.

My classes this semester seem to be good, I'm on my last CHC, or MHC as they're now called, and I anticipate that it's going to be boring but manageable. I'm also on my last semester of German, and that promises to be fun and relatively easy as usual - I can't get over how nice Hunter's German department is! Although, in our first German class we did have an elderly auditor from a neighboring class room come and steal the chair we were using to prop the door open... Biology continues to be interesting, though challenging, and my chemistry class seem to be infinitely better this semester than last, thank goodness. Not only is the professor much better, but he seems to have fostered better students: I've already been invited to several study groups, both online and in person!

This week I'll be volunteering to do interviews with applicants to the Honors college, and meeting with a professor from NYu whom I'll be interning with for the spring. Last week I went down to Johns Hopkins to meet with researchers there, one of whom I'll be working with over the summer. Things are starting to get busy and exciting again. But for right now, the school limbo is working nicely; I was happy to spend the day snoozing, eating, and watching movies with my boyfriend, something we both needed before the stress of school sets in. Once the semester is underway it can be hard to remember to relax, but it is important - burning out is not a good feeling. As I ease back into the workload and the long hours, the textbooks and papers, I'm definitely hoping that days like today don't fade away entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment