Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Vacationing" almost over

I am Finally FREE from the Horrendously Agonizing GASTROENTERITIS!!! I don’t even know how I contracted it! It must be the water! It’s so amazingly dirty here as they don't even filter it…go figure! It first started with me feeling groggier than usual that I didn’t want to get out of bed. How could I not want to go out?...It must be too sunny here in comparison to frigid New York. I reluctantly dragged myself to school at 8:30 am. After an hour passed, I could not bear the pain anymore. I told the teacher that I thought I had a fever. A fever, indeed, I did have. I went to the doctor in the hotel that I was staying at; however, she didn’t know what I had.

For a while, I was terrified that I would die from some nameless Argentinean disease. However, that fear subsided when they figured out that I had gastroenteritis. That diagnostic was after two whole days of suffering from that dastardly infection. The first three days that I had the infection, I was so listless to the point that I couldn’t even stand for more than 5 minutes. My stomach felt like it was going to experience an eternity of excruciating pain. During that week, I could only eat a few things, such as chicken and rice; I was not permitted to eat anything that was fried or uncooked. I’m in Argentina and I am not allowed to eat any of their delicacies…my life is wonderful.

Argentina’s loves meat, especially steak. In fact, they have international renown for their steak. I don’t get what the big fuss is about; their steak tastes the same as NY steak. All the restaurants ever serve is ham and cheese!...This would be a very disagreeable place to visit for vegetarians.

When I returned to class after my not-so-splendid sick days, I felt so behind. Everything turned out to be fine, as the professor was reviewing the material that I didn’t have the chance to learn. My small group welcomed me back and updated me on what the week’s project was.

As I got back into the Argentinean pace of life, I opened my eyes to the city that was in front of me and took advantage of my remaining days. I went to the beach, walked along the coast and rode a banana boat, and gallivanted around town, in several days’ time, of course. Have I mentioned how cheap everything is here? It’s a shopper’s paradise! I must get all my gift shopping done soon as I am leaving this sunny land in less than a week.

I can’t believe that school is starting in a week! Can you believe it? It’s unjust that they make me go back to school in NY after letting me study abroad in sun-drenched Argentina. They must be cackling to themselves, knowing how much it would annoy me. But, I can't say I am not looking forward to it. Anyhow, I must go and speak to a native Argentinean now! See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment