Tuesday, October 11, 2011

You are my Sunshine

I think I've finally gotten used to my schedule. I am not as stressed out and burnt out as I had originally thought, and I am doing better in most of my classes than I had originally thought. Not that I'm saying I'm looking forward to the slew of five midterms coming up in 2 weeks, but I know and have more faith in myself that I will study and get through it very well. The beautiful weather sure is making me feel very confident that I can accomplish anything just about now.

It was really mind boggling and pretty relaxing to have two 4day weekends in a row. Of course, I had hoped to get as much studying done as possible during these weekends, but, as expected, I only did the bare minimum. In a way, I am disappointed in myself, but I am not surprised that my mind refused to do much over the mini breaks. At least I planned to procrastinate during the weekend, because now I have the perfect window and amount of time to really strap in and study for my tests. Thats the best part about those 4 day weekends- I might not get much done, but they are so relaxing that I am primed and ready to do busy work throughout my school week.

Yesterday, the last day off from the four day weekend, I ended up watching the Columbus Day Parade. It was a refreshing change to my schedule, and reminded me how I miss my days of high school marching band. While I was reminiscing about my marching band days, I dutifully carried out my role as a parade spectator and waved to the various marchers and police officers coming by. At first, when I waved, the police officers would wave back ecstatically, even trying to start up small talk with me while they walked by. I was pretty excited by this, because I was not the only spectator around, and I felt quite appreciative of the fact that the marchers were taking the time to say a few words to me. After a while ( I think this was after Bloomberg walked by), I realized the marchers weren't exactly talking to me, but to the two sisters (nuns) next to me, dressed in their white saree-like habits (like the one Mother Theresa wore). It was sort of surreal to see the Missionaries of Charity in New York, because I had originally associated them with working in the slums of Calcutta. After talking to them for a little bit, I learned they were waiting to talk to an Indian consulate official ( the Indian Consulate was on the same block that I was spectating on) about visas for India. I was extremely fascinated and awed by how they worked not only in the visible poverty of Calcutta, but also tried to help with the noticeable but often invisible poverty within our city.


The internet at the dorms has gotten better, but it is still not up to par considering that there is such as thing called "tech fees". However, the freebie t-shirts and planners that Hunter decided to give away today slightly glossed over this ever present and unsolved internet debacle. And of course, the gorgeous weather these past few days and for the days to come is pure happiness, no matter what life decides to throw at me.

Other than reading for classes and writing up lab reports, I'll be attending sessions with various admissions reps and deans with a few dental schools. I want to gain as much information and exposure to as many dental schools as possible before I really start my apps and studying for the DAT this winter and next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment