Friday, October 14, 2011

Bloomingdale's, Occupy Wall Street, and French

As you can see from the title of this post, I've had an assortment of experiences this week.
When I first started classes this year, I was definitely not looking forward to the 6 hour break that I would have every Tuesday. I thought those hours would be the most torturous of the week. Well, it turns out that I was wrong. Tuesday has now become my most fulfilling day of the week. Those 6 hours allow for homework completion, hanging out with friends, and exploring NYC. This past Tuesday, I didn't have a lot of work to do, so I was able to spend a lot of time outside, enjoying the great weather. I went outside to take a photo for Macaulay Snapshot Day and I ended up in Central Park. I took a few pictures, but none of the pictures seemed right. As I began to walk down Fifth Avenue, I stumbled upon a huge crowd of people chanting and walking up Fifth Avenue. I immediately recognized them as the Occupy Wall Street protestors. This was my first time seeing the protestors in person and I was transfixed by their words and their signs. I thought that I would never see the protestors because they had been downtown for awhile. Later that day, I found out that the protestors were in the Upper East Side to protest in front of the homes of a number of CEO's.
I began to snap pictures and take videos of the protestors as they walked to and then up Park Avenue. I followed them for about an hour and was amazed at the number of protestors and their enthusiasm for the movement. Everybody on the sidewalk literally stopped what they were doing and started snapping pictures. It was great to just be there and see people try to make their lives better.


The photograph I chose for Macaulay Snapshot Day.




Later that day, I went into Bloomingdale's for the first time in my life. The various designer clothes and accessories were beautiful. But while there, I was reminded of the protestors and how they couldn't afford most of the things sold at Bloomingdale's. It was crazy to imagine that people protesting because they needed jobs and people shopping for a designer handbag were in the same city at the exact same time.

On Wednesday, my Art in NYC Seminar professor took my class to see a chamber music master class with the Bordeaux Quartet at Hunter's Lang Recital Hall. The Bordeaux Quartet is made up of four French musicians. They took some time off from their world tour to come to Hunter to give some constructive criticism to Hunter music students. After the students played for the Quartet, each member of the Quartet gave some constructive criticism to them. The members of the quartet spoke a mix of French and English to the students. A translator was on hand to translate the French for the students and audience. I found that I didn't even mind that I didn't understand what they were saying. The French language is so beautiful that it is itself like a piece of music. The French musicians had such passion for music and gave valuable pieces of advice to the Hunter music students. It was just fascinating to watch them and listen to them talk about what they love.

I have a confession to make. I had never eaten sushi until this past Wednesday when my friend taught me how to eat sushi with chopsticks. I definitely enjoyed eating it! College really does expose you to new things.

I have two midterms coming up next week so let's see how those go!

ttyl,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment