Sunday, October 23, 2011

Midterms, 5th Ave, Dance, and Symphony

Hey everybody.
Last week was very long and exhausting, but exciting nonetheless because something interesting always seems to sneak into my life every week.  (which is great because what is life without unexpected cool things dropping into our laps?)
On Monday night, I attended a "Meet the Artist" event at the Macaulay building. The event featured contemporary choreographer, Miguel Gutierrez. He talked about his life, his dance career, and self-expression through dance. He is definitely one of the most interesting and innovative people I've ever met. He seeks to explore a variety of subjects in his work. His passion for dance was palpable in the air as he danced for us. It was definitely a great night.
Check out his website: http://www.miguelgutierrez.org/
On Monday, I also took my first Political Science test. I was nervous, but I thought the test was fair.
If any of you ever want to take a Political Science class, take Poli Sci 110 with Professor Polsky. He's a great professor. He is knowledgeable, lectures well, and gives a fair amount of work.
My week was also consumed doing chemistry homework and studying for the chemistry test that I took this past Friday. It's definitely not an easy class, but I've discovered that no college class is easy. They all require work and focus.
On Wednesday night, my Arts Seminar class went to listen to the Hunter Symphony.
It was definitely an interesting experience because I really haven't been exposed to classical music before. I've been able to learn more about the history of music because my professor is a pianist. He likes to incorporate music into his lessons so I've been able to learn a lot about the history of music. The class definitely has given a greater appreciation for music by composers like Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach.
Thursday was all about studying for chemistry.
Since chemistry is my only class on Fridays, I was able to go out and enjoy NYC after my chemistry test. I went to Fifth Avenue and checked out Uniqlo, Juicy Couture, and H&M. I also went to Rockefeller Center and admired Atlas' muscles. =p
It was great to just be out and enjoy this city. I grew up in Brooklyn, and as a kid, I never really got to go to Manhattan a lot. Going to college here has really allowed to finally get to know this awesome borough. Brooklyn will always be number one in my heart because of its hominess and familiarity, but Manhattan has really captured my heart these past two months.
I'm just grateful that I have this opportunity to be a part of Macaulay and enjoy this beautiful city. <3

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment