Monday, October 31, 2011

The Opera, Thinking, and Bruno

Today was awesome because I got to go shopping, which is always fun.
There's nothing like a cute sweater or coat to make you forget that you're a college student and have work to do when you get home. =p
Last week was pretty eventful because I got to go to the Metropolitan Opera house last Tuesday and to the 92nd Street Y on Wednesday for my Arts Seminar class.
The Met Opera was absolutely amazing! There's a beautiful fountain right in front of the operahouse. The architecture of the building is just breathtaking. It's even more beautiful on the inside and I felt like I was going to see Jennifer Lopez pop in at any moment and say hello to my class. There were so many people there and they were all dressed to the nines.
My class was there to see the Mozart opera Don Giovanni. The opera is three and a half hours long including intermission. It's definitely very long, but definitely worth seeing. The singing was amazing and the plot was dramatic. I found myself just entranced by it all. I was incredibly exhausted at the end of the night because I had been at school all day, but I'm so glad I got the opportunity to do this. How many people can say they've been to an opera?! It was just a great experience.

The next night, my class went to the 92nd Street Y to attend a reading by Israeli writer, Amos Oz. He read an excerpt from his book, Scenes from Village Life. It sounds like an interesting book, and I will hopefully will get a chance to read it soon. The best part of the night was the Q&A session in which Oz answered questions on a variety of topics. As he was answering the questions, I felt myself and everybody around me lean forward just a little because his words were filled with so much wisdom. This is a a man who is just brimming with ideas, thoughts, and information. I like people who make me think, and Amos Oz really made me think. It was another great night.

I've gotten in the habit of watching a couple of movies on the weekends to distract myself from school work. Yesterday, I watched writer/director John Hughes' movie The Breakfast Club, which I've wanted to watch for a few years now but never got around to it. It is such an awesome movie!!! It was made in 1985, which feels like the Ice Age to all of us, but watching this movie made me realize that teenagers in the eighties were just like teenagers today. They had the same dreams, the same fears, and they laughed at the same things. If you haven't seen the movie, you should definitely go and watch it! It will make you cry, laugh, and think.

Happy Halloween and have a great week everybody!!

S.

P.S. I can't believe it actually snowed this past weekend!
P.P.S. As I was writing this post, Bruno Mars' song "It Will Rain" came on the radio. Such a good song and such an awesome singer! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment