Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Midterms, MOMA and Macaulay Common Event!

The passage of this week marks a major milestone in my college career: I finished my first ever round of midterms and survived! Fortunately, my Macaulay Seminar professor unconsciously incorporated a study break by planning a class venture to the MOMA in the middle of the week. Upon entering the museum, my classmates and I became aware of the fact that bookbags were prohibited within the museum. After waiting on line for what felt like hours to check my bag and parting with my beloved Mac Book Pro, we finally entered the museum. It was well worth the wait. Prior to this year, I was never an art enthusiast and rarely ventured out to New York's cultural institutions. I thoroughly enjoyed observing and interpreting modern art, as well as discussing various works with my friends. Best of all, the visit was entirely free of charge!

On Wednesday evening, I attended an extremely informative Internship Workshop at the Roosevelt House. The guest speakers were successful in the business world and had valuable insight on the topics of networking and internships. My Macaulay classmates and I learned about the value of professional and social networking sites such as Linked-In, as well as the script to have when networking with a person. According to Ira Giff, no person can ever obtain enough networking contacts. Mr. Giff is a successful man who liberally accepts requests on networking sites, an approach that is the antithesis of his wife's approach. It is important to read into job and internship descriptions, as well as examine exactly what a position entails by speaking to current employees. Moreover, employers search for motivated students that take the initiative under minimal supervision. Overall, attending a common event with other Macaulay students in different years and from different campuses was a rewarding and memorable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment