Tuesday, March 1, 2011

sp3, PCR, and stat, oh my!

I started writing this post on Tuesday of last week. But then full force of studying came pushing through my world, and hence, my post is only being completed and published today.

Last Tuesday ( to be more exact, March 1st) I busy hammering away at my orgo textbook and bio notes. I had both my orgo and bio tests on Thursday. Even with all the preparation I had put into studying for both the tests, I didn't feel 100% about my performance on both. I hate it when doubt creeps in like that. But whatever, I studied hard and I know it.

Huge sidetracked side note- I'm listening to Adele. And I'm in love. With her to be exact. :) And can you imagine she's only like what about 23 (Correct me if I'm wrong of course).

Last week, I went to take the Kaplan Practice DAT at Columbia. It was a long test, superduper long in comparison to the GRE, which is only about an hour for the quantitative and verbal sections, while I think about 2.5 hours for the DAT. I ended up taking the GRE earlier today ( or actually yesterday, because its early Monday morning now) and I realized yet again that I need to start studying for those tests. Although the practice tests seem like a waste of time when you take them, they have served to be a great wake up call and beginning to the studying that I have ahead of me for these tests. I still am not sure which one I'm going to take soon, but taking both has definitely helped me make a better decision when the time comes.

Along with having to had studied for my two tests, I had a lot of stat homework. I never really understood how long stat homework (for my stat 213 class) could take. The problems aren't necessarily hard to do or understand, but plug in a number of a set wrong wrong and the whole problem comes out wrong.

Anyways, for CHC, we have an assignment where we have to attend a community board meeting. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it ( it seriously cut into my studying time because it was all the way on the Upper West Side). But being able to see just how active individuals can be involved in politics at the community level is really interesting. What was really quite interesting to see was the owner of Shake Shack receiving the Neighbor of the Month Award. That was a huge surprise that reminded me of how hungry I was, and how I miss the Shake Shack ever so much. Before I had come to the meeting, I, along with my friends, seriously doubted whether or not there would be a major turnout at a community board meeting. We were hugely mistaken, and rightly so. Not only was there a sizable senior citizen group in attendance ( the meeting was held at a nursing home), but contrary to what we had initially thought, there were many younger people in their late 20s to early 30s listening, and sometimes even walking up to bring up important topics and news in the community. Hey, you learn something new everyday.

If you ever really get hungry near Hunter and if the cafeteria food doesn't particularly satisfy your craving, try the tomato basil mozzarella panini from Food Emporium. Not too far away, very healthy, very filling, and pretty yummy. :)

And again, since the opportunity funds deadline is soon approaching, go on a study abroad, or even a service trip abroad if you haven't done so. It's a life changer!


No comments:

Post a Comment