Sunday, March 6, 2011

Empire State of Mind

Sometimes, its easy to forget that I live and study in one of the world's greatest urban centers. It should not feel like this, but it is especially true when I spent time traveling outside the New York City. In the past month, I've spent a night sleeping in three different beds in three different towns, two of which are technically "urban." And when I return to this city it seems like there isn't much that is different.

Where ever I am, I study textbooks (that moves), in the most quiet places that I find, and write papers and procrastinate on my laptop (that moves). Although some of my classmates, like Ting, trek out to the farmers market, I generally buy the vast majority of my groceries from Trader Joe's. I eat in restaurants that are priced to suit a young adult's budget.

Traditional college work and little play makes Danielle a dull girl and the city of Manhattan not unlike the town of Bellmore where she came from. My conversation topics don't change when I change location...

...but sometimes they do. My perspectives on different cultures seem almost more authentic. I find that my conversations on vintage designer finds, quirky odd jobs from AgentAnything.com, and little film festivals and and museums competitions that I devote bits of free time to are unique, compared to my pre-Manhattanite days. I'm working with my adviser, Adrienne, to find internships here in the city. The big names that seek student labor, surprise me. The schoolwork can be the same-old, but the eventual outcomes are very, very different.

I've let lights inspire me everywhere, but as I turn 19 tomorrow in the Brookdale dorm....Let's hear it for New York........

No comments:

Post a Comment