Friday, March 11, 2011

Another Central Park Experience

My Fridays are officially Good Food Day. That is how I will get through the tumultuous amounts of work and gain the proverbial freshman 15. Today I took a walk down to 60th ST and 5th Ave, home of the Wafels & Dinges cart. If you haven't heard of them, then you're in for a treat! They make these Belgian goodies called wafels that are topped with powdered sugar and toppings of your choice. The wafels are as buttery and sugary as waffles, but the great thing about wafels is that they're made with pearl sugar which makes it melt in your mouth delicious. There are two types of wafels: brussels and liege. Brussels wafels are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, while liege wafels are soft and chewy throughout. I prefer liege wafels because I really like the doughy texture. So I got that with my favorite topping, spekuloos. Spekuloos is a spread made from gingerbread cookies that is similar to Nutella but its flavor is more subtle and less sweet. After getting my order of a liege wafel and a jar of spekuloos to take home, I made my way into Central Park and sat outside the Zoo. There were artists drawing people who had the patience to sit still, hot dog vendors, and people having lunch. It was such a beautiful day. The sun was shining, birds were chirping, squirrels were prancing, people were laughing...and then I ran out of liege wafels :( But it was all good, since I still had this!:


To somewhat redeem myself from this calorie extravagant snack, I made my way to the Union Square Farmer's Market as usual to get some produce. However, it seems that my main guy for vegetables wasn't there today so I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow, but I did manage to happen upon some fine looking apples.


Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment