Friday, December 31, 2010

Semester End Reflections/Year End Reflections

Although I did not know at the time, my 88 year old grandfather got very sick during my final exams. (Holidays and packing up to go home were interesting, to say the least.) He passed away a few days ago. He was smart, hard working, and very friendly. He lived a pleasant life and, being the goodhearted person that he was, was aware of what he had, even as Alzheimers and Parkinsons amongst other things, seemed to take that away.

He served in the navy, attended night school 15 years for an accounting degree he never used and accepted unusual work commissions with his glass installation company. He went fishing with his friends every weekend, as a young man. He did so many community service hours that a day in Connecticut was named in his honor, and cashed out his life insurance policy so that my mother could afford her last year of university.

He always had a resolution to be better, but I don't think he had any regrets.

That's how I felt, while dealing with the aftermath of my first semester of college. I had a great time in the city. I haven't spoken to many school people in this chaos, but I bonded enough with people that spring should be a blast. I passed all my classes and made Dean's List, although it seemed rather close. (My grades were the lowest I've seen in years. I haven't gotten the equivalent of a 3.7 since the start of middle school.) I don't have it all, or even a fraction of what CUNY promotes itself of capable of giving me. I want to be more social, more scholarly, and do find/develop the cool extracurricular that never materialized this semester.

I want to live life to the fullest in Gram-pa Larry's memory.



Is it in poor taste to post a picture of a loved one's hearse in a school related blog on New Years Eve? NO REGRETS, and have a great 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment