Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It has been a long time....

I cannot believe I haven't posted for a few weeks. How inexcusable of me as a writer for the Macblog. Forgive me, but in order to compensate for the lack of entries, this will be a pretty long one.

What has happened to me the last few weeks that is noteworthy? Hmm, with my mind rolling and flipping through memories, here are just some of the highlights:

I have finally, FINALLY gone to Trader Joe's! This might not seem at all relevant to Honors life at Hunter, but having such an amazing grocery near the dorms makes eating fun and healthier, which leads to better studying periods for me. Its not necessarily near the dorms (its on 6th ave and 22nd, whereas the dorms are on 25th and 1st ave) as everyone who goes there knows, but its walkable, and as an avid consumer of milk, the prices are pretty good ( $1.79 for a half gallon in Manhattan is the cheapest I've seen thus far). When I bought all my groceries and went to the cashier, I was trying to figure out how to word my first experience at Trader Joe's, and he said it perfectly, " Trader Joe's is like the Disneyland of grocery stores". If anything, its the Disney World. Hopefully, this view of Trader Joe's doesn't grow any dimmer as time passes on.

Other than of course purchasing milk at Trader Joe's, I bought a very delicious gingerbread mix. I was thinking of baking a gingerbread cake, but alas, I forgot I had a 8''x8'' deep dish pan for it. So instead, I made a very holiday-like collection of gingerbread cookies- gingerbread men and women, triangles that were supposed to look like trees, stars ( one looked like Patrick Star from Spongebob), as well as regular cookies- with friends at the dorms. That's a huge plus side at living at the dorms- if you're too bored to make food for yourself by yourself, you can always just meet up with people and make meals together. Mini potlucks at the dorms are oh so efficient and enjoyable.

Although its not as epic as a shopping at Trader Joe's, I did enjoy the Indian Spice Drinking Chocolate twice at the Whole Foods in Union Square with my fellow MHC poster group members. ( If you haven't had it yet, try it. With hints of cinnamon and cardamom in this thick hot chocolate, it puts regular hot chocolate to shame). Its a great place to sit back , relax and unwind after a long week with friends, especially when you consider the view of uptown , and the view of the holiday fair in the park below from the large windows. The holiday fair at Union Square is worth a visit, but don't go during the evenings on weekends, because it gets very crowded with shoppers and tourists. But still a definite must on the holiday to-do list.

Enough with the food memories ( my stomach is violently growling now). Going back to that MHC poster I briefly mentioned, we presented it at the Macaulay poster session on Sunday. Although making the poster was an absolute pain in the butt, and having to trek to the Macaulay building on a Sunday morning was just as annoying, it really did reinforce the fact that there are other honors students at different colleges, and that Macaulay is a cross campus community. Without such events or cross campus honors and MHC classes, this simple fact is forgotten, which is a huge loss. At Hunter, the only way I know and meet people in the Honors college is through the honors classes. Sure, the MHC classes themselves are called to be a waste of time sometimes by students, but they are equally interesting, and introduce a different way of viewing the city. Most importantly, those classes bring together Honors students that wouldn't necessarily have met each other,because of how we all take different classes for different majors and tracks. Of course we have the honors lounge, but I feel that having such classes was and is the only way I have met some amazing people at the Honors college at Hunter.





No comments:

Post a Comment