Thursday, November 29, 2012

(More) John Green Novels, Registration, and Christmastime!

Hey guys!

So I literally just finished a book. A novel. A masterpiece by one of my favorite authors: John Green. The book was co-written with another fantastic author, David Levithan, who I'm now going to read more of. Now, I'm an English major. I therefore read all sorts of amazing novels, plays, and poetry. I enjoy Fitzgerald, I idolize Hemmingway, I wish I was Oscar Wilde. Yet there's nothing like sitting down for a good teenage novel like Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Only to discover that maybe it's a bit deeper than you thought?

Now this was the book I would read between classes, on the subway to and from school, before I went to bed. I'm a big book person and I feel the need to read constantly. I'm also a list person. It helps me organize and stop stressing about everything I have to do. Seriously, if you're ever freaking out about work, just write down a list of everything and you'll feel better just looking at it. That piece of paper isn't as bad as the jumble of stuff going on in your head. Anyway, I have lists and lists of books that have yet to be read, from Dante's Divine Comedy to Life of Pi. This was (supposed to be) a lighter read for me.

I should warn you, don't walk into a John Green novel with these expectations that it will be a walk in the park. His novels are funny, adorable, and heart-wrenching. They will break your heart. I had just read (see also: recovered emotionally from) The Fault In Our Stars and I thought I knew this, but I went for it anyway. Now, the story is about this kid named Will Grayson who ends up, through some pretty weird circumstances, to meet another kid named Will Grayson. They swap stories, they're sufficiently weirded out, their lives become entangled in the most absurd ways. And the book is about love; friendship love, romantic love, familial love. All types of love. It's a book about appreciating the people in your life. And it hit me really hard. Coming right after Thanksgiving and right before the holidays, this is just what I needed. I appreciate the people in my life and you should too. Yeah, pretty gooey and sentimental but I teared a bit at the end. Not to give anything away, but it involves one absurdly long car drive, a lot of phonebooks, and a reliance on the kindness of strangers.

I scheduled my classes for the spring yesterday and it was the most exhilarating and terrifying experience of my life. I made about 15 alternate schedules in all my freaking out. I actually ended up with my perfect schedule, so I don't know why I freaked out so much. I'm just happy it's over with and I can live my life in peace for awhile. Or until the next semester's registration appointment (oh god save me now).

My friends and I are doing Secret Santa this year. I'm super excited because I love the mystery of it all. My friend made little slips of paper with all our names on them and folded them so they were ridiculously difficult to open. We're all sworn to secrecy about who we got under a death threat from said friend but I'm just itching to go out and buy my person a gift this weekend!

Lastly, although two out of three of us in my dorm room are Jewish, we all decided to have a Christmas tree for our room. It's fake of course, but we had a lot of fun listening to the Christmas music playlist on Pandora while decorating it with ornaments. I'm really, really starting to love my roommates.


I just love this time of the year. It's so cozy and the lights make the city so much more beautiful despite how cold it is. Christmas music is so happy. I know it'll eventually get on my nerves, but for now it's amazing. Happy (soon-to-be) holidays everyone! Don't get too stressed out about finals week (quickly approaching gahhhh!!!)

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment