Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Perks of Being Displaced from Brookdale?

It's been so crazy lately! I was displaced from the dorms because of the storm and I've been living at various generous relatives' and friends' apartments. I think I need to send about five Edible Arrangements to all my friends' parents and my relatives who have put me up in the last three weeks. I'm finally moved into the emergency housing at 97th street and everything is going back to semi-normal status at least. I made my (hopefully) final trip to Brookdale today to get some stuff. I hope this is the last time I have to walk through the city with bags of stuff like a nomad. I finally have my own bedspread and pillows and space. Kind of makes you appreciate the little things.

Anyway, with things being in this state of flux I've had a hard time finding time to blog. Even with all this craziness, I've forced myself to find time for my friends. I've spent so much time in the library and the bridges just sitting, doing work, hanging out with friends, and charging electronics. We used to all just congregate in the common room. I didn't realize how difficult keeping up a friendship was until we all lived so far away from each other. I have my master creeper list of everyone's schedules which makes it a bit easier, but I have to make a concerted effort to see them. What's great is that everyone lives in different places so I've gotten to explore the city a bit. I went to this great ramen noodle restaurant near Washington Square Park on Friday. The best vegetable fried dumplings EVER. I also tried pad thai for the first time at a Thai restaurant in Brooklyn. If you've never had pad thai, go. Right now. Please. It's just noodles with some sauce and chicken, possibly some egg, but it's the greatest thing you will ever eat. I know, I know. I talk about food a lot, but I'm a college student. My life basically revolves around food and sleep. Sometimes work....sometimes being the key word here.

I've just been spending this beautiful Saturday getting used to my new home, sitting in bed, working on essays, and watching How I Met Your Mother. I've been catching up with it for awhile now and I'm finally on the 8th season. Spoiler alert: I love love love Barney and Robin. Best. Couple. Ever. Did I mention I obsess over TV shows? I feel the need to watch them all in a week and my friends think I'm insane.

If you haven't gone to see Perks of Being a Wallflower, go right now. It's amazing. I went last weekend with my friends and it was one long feels-fest. I read the book in high school and the movie is just as good. Plus, I love all the actors in the movie. Especially Ezra Miller.

I'm super excited to be going home next weekend for Thanksgiving. Living in the city, a lot of my friends don't drive. I think that's the greatest thing about going home: driving. Living on Long Island, I have to drive to get anywhere. And I love it. So going home means driving, seeing my cats, and sleeping in my own bed. Oh, and also an entire day dedicated to eating food. And I get to collapse into my own bed in a food coma. God, I love Thanksgiving.

This week in English class, we read one of my favorite poems by T.S. Eliot called "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". My English teacher spent all class analyzing it and saying how it's one of her favorite poems. It's nice to know she's just as big a nerd about poetry as I am. My dad and I recite this poem to each other. Whenever we leave a place he just starts with "Let us go then you and I" and I complete it. So, being and English major and all nerdy about words and poetry, I'm gonna leave you with the first verse of said poem:

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question...
Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
Let us go and make our visit.

T.S. Eliot, 1920

No comments:

Post a Comment