Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tonight, Tonight... What comes next?

Hi everyone, it's been awhile and I hope that everyone's lives are slowly starting to normal-out again after the hurricane. I know it's still tough for a lot of people; I don't quite qualify for emergency housing, and even if I did I know there are people much worse off than me, so I've been grinning and bearing it and commuting from Westchester for the past two and a half weeks. Living at home is worse than I remember, so I just hope that the dorms open back up soon. However, not everything in the past few weeks has been awful.
Today, for instance, was pretty good! I stayed overnight in the city with a friend, which made the commute this morning much less difficult. I had my Macaulay Seminar at 10:10 this morning, however it was on the west side in the Macaulay building because we watched West Side Story. The little movie theatre room is really cute, and a good place for a small class screening of a movie. I have seen West Side Story, I don't know how many times, but it was a real eye-opener to rewatch it now. I didn't remember it being so hokey, but it was and it kind of still was amazing. I actually love the music from the show, so me and a friend were singing Tonight for the rest of the day. However, we couldn't remember any other lyrics for a good part of the afternoon (only after some digging in my brain could I remember maybe two full verses). Still, it was an enjoyable day before a four day weekend.
After class, my friends and I had our own "Friendsgiving" lunch at Ellen's Stardust Diner. I love this place! I don't remember how I found it, but when I was younger I went with my parent's a bunch of times. Once, I even got serenaded by one of the waiters. That's the greatest part: the waiters and waitresses are all aspiring Broadway actors and so most of the time that you're sitting in there, they're singing. It's great! It's cheesy, and the place is mismatched and decorated not-so beautifully, but it all adds to the place's charm. Just, if you go there, do remember it's just off of Times Square (it's on 51st and Broadway) and so the food is pretty expensive. However, their milkshakes are really good and definitely filling, so if you just want to fill yourself up and listen to some showtunes/top 40 then have a milkshake for lunch (not everyday, of course) and you'll be fine.
None of us got serenaded this time, but the meal was fun and some of us were singing along with every song which was great! Now I've got this four day weekend to look forward to and, trust me, I don't think anyone deserves a break more than those of us living in New York City when Sandy hit. I have quite a bit of work to do, but at least I don't have to attend a single class until Monday and I will get to see all of my friends who have been away.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment