Wednesday, November 28, 2012

thanksgiving and registration!

Hey guys,

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!  I know I did; some of my family members who usually don't come came for dinner this year!  Andd I made some great dishes.  My mom does an amazing Thanksgiving every year, but since I learned I'm gluten intolerant about two years ago, it's been a little tricky.  You see, I was a vegetarian a few years ago, and it wasn't too difficult.  You either just leave out the turkey (and gravy!) or substitute a Tofurky for it.  But when you can't eat gluten, you can't have the stuffing, gravy, prepared foods with sauce (unless you know for sure it's okay), pies, or cookies.

By now I'm pretty well adjusted though:  I made a cornbread and whole wheat bread gluten-free stuffing, and my mom set aside some gravy thickened with cornstarch.  I also made a pumpkin custard (basically, it's the pumpkin without the crust), and my mom found gluten-free amaretto cookies!  It's still a little awkward, because people sometimes still have questions.  But I was so proud of my grandma--one relative asked why more people can't eat gluten all of a sudden, and my grandma replied "because people didn't know about it before".  She'll still offer me cookies sometimes, but I was so proud that she remembered a part of my often lengthy, probably annoying, explanations of "why I can't eat that". =]

On another note, today is priority registration!  It's an amazing perk of being an Honors student, but it doesn't take all the stress out of registering.  You still have worry about getting into the seminar or honors courses that you want!  I've had pretty good luck in past semesters, even though I always end up making last minute changes.  >_<

I'll let you know how it goes!  Enjoy the rest of your week!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment