Thursday, October 4, 2012

My First Post/Debate!


Hi there! I'm Danielle, the newest blogger! I'm living here in the city, at Brookdale, but I grew up on Long Island, out in Suffolk County.  I'm hoping to be a Political Science major, with Pre-Law advising. (SHAMELESS PLUG: The Pre-Law program is AMAZING at Hunter. Elise Jaffe, the Pre-Law advisor is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met!) Right now my friends and I are talking about joining the fencing team, and what we're going to do for our community service this year (hint hint, this counts!) 

The weirdest part of college so far is all these PEOPLE. I live in the dorms, so I am constantly surrounded by people - my friends and I hang out in the common room constantly. We all meet up there after our classes and do work and socialize and complain about how much work we should be doing. The majority of my friends are in the Chinese Flagship Program, which is an intense Chinese language program that culminates in a trip to Taiwan in their senior year. So I'm picking up some Chinese, most memorably "shang tu xia xie " - vomiting while having explosive diarrhea. They just finished up a unit on illnesses, so that one has been shouted around the floor for a few weeks.

So, on to what no one wants to bring up... The first debate was last night! Everyone congregated on the 6th floor (my floor!) to watch. It was definitely a rough debate, considering that they only talked about half the issues, and almost none of the social ones people respond to. Poor Jim Lehrer though - he got trampled. I don't know what they offer to pay these moderators, but it must be substantial if they're willing to try and break those two apart. Maybe the candidates will behave better in the next round. (I can dream, can't I?) I actually have to pay attention since I'm old enough to vote this year; which is probably what I'm looking forward to more than anything at the moment. 

As a Political Science major, I guess I will nerd out for a minute, over the fact that our voices actually count in elections. Yes, there is the whole issue of the Electoral College actually electing the president and us only electing them, but they are supposed to follow the voting of the populous. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I didn't do my Political Science homework because I was watching the debate. Hm. That's not good. I honestly doubt we're going to talk about much but the debate in class today, but I guess I had better read the passages anyways. Toodles folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment