Friday, October 19, 2012

Black Rock Forest, Microbes, and Poetry

Hello everyone!

Last weekend, the entire sophomore class went hiking in Black Rock Forest which is up in Cornwall, NY. I got up super early to get to the dorms on time from Brooklyn. (I had an orgo exam the previous day so this was a nice way to get away from the studying.)
The bus trip was only supposed to be an hour and half, but the bus I was on took 3 hours to get there. We were all starving and restless by the time we got there, but also excited for the hike.
It was chilly but sunny. A perfect fall day. We hiked through the forest for about two hours. Our group leader pointed out a praying mantis, maple trees, and salamanders among other things. The praying mantis was particularly fascinating to me since I had never seen one close up before. She was clinging onto to a tree because she was cold. We were told that she had laid all her eggs and would die in the winter. Even though female praying mantises are not the most affectionate of all creatures (they bite the heads of males during mating), I still felt bad for her. I wondered if she knew that she was going to die.

We were walking over some rocky paths, and I twisted my ankle like three times! We had to climb over some big rocks, and I have a huge fear of heights. I have no idea how I did it. haha. But the view from the rocks was well worth the climb.


It was my first time hiking so I was exhausted afterwards, but I had a great time. Thank you, Macaulay. Forever challenging us to grow, learn and be better. :)

In other news, this past Tuesday, I had my first microbiology exam. I definitely have an appreciation for bacteria now. I don't think people realize the complexity and the intricacy of certain bacterial processes. They are these tiny creatures, but they're everywhere and have such well-developed metabolisms and are so well adapted to their environments. Even if you think they're yucky, you've got to be impressed by their ability to survive and adapt for millions of years.

I've been inspired to write some interesting poetry lately. It's been cathartic and a way for me to express my creativity. It's nice to use the other hemisphere of my brain every once in awhile. :p

S.

Enjoy your weekend! =)

Quote of the week:

“If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.”


~Thich Nhat Hanh 

1 comment:

  1. Black Rock is amazing! I still remembering losing my phone to the mountain world on my trip haha

    ReplyDelete