Monday, October 29, 2012

it's been a while!

Hey guys,

Sorry I've been away for so long!  I had to take some time from class because I wasn't feeling too well, and ended up getting swamped with work.
One thing I have to say about Hunter professors is that they're incredibly understanding.  They've given me time to catch up on assignments, and have been willing to explain missed lectures to me.  So far I've just been completely immersed in the current work, and the work I need to catch up on…which isn't a lot of fun, but I know it'll turn out well.  The extra day from Hurricane Sandy should help me out a bit with the work, as long as the power doesn't go out! *crosses fingers*
This stormy weather reminds me of my first few days at Hunter…we had to do an in-building evacuation at the Grad Center, about 5 minutes into our Laptop Info Session!  We had literally just found our classrooms and opened our laptops, when these announcements came on ordering us to stay put, and a few minutes later, to evacuate because of the earthquake.  I remember thinking, this can't possibly just be an earthquake, it has to be a terrorist attack.  I had no idea an earthquake could cause an evacuation or damage!  I remember how reassuring and calm the Macaulay ITFs were (apparently, they're not only great at technology, but at diffusing tense situations!).  Despite the evacuation, I didn't feel anything, but later that day, I found out that my mom had actually felt the earthquake at the park, but that no one believed her at the time!
…and, the first weekend at the dorms, we had to evacuate because of Hurricane Irene!  I remember being kind of freaked out about that "Zone A" evacuation and the fact that mass transit would be shut down (it just sounds SO ominous!).  They ordered another one this weekend, but I was home ahead of it.  To be honest, I didn't think much of it this time, even though this storm is probably much worse…I guess this is just another thing we'll get used to...
Anyways, I hope all of you are staying safe throughout the storm!  Enjoy your days off =]

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment