Friday, September 21, 2012

Noise-cancelling headphones: the only cure to Philo 101 and imaginary-character-feelings

Hey guys!

My name is Erica. I have the most unpronounceable, Polish last name you've ever seen. My friends make fun of me for it all the time. I'm a freshman at Hunter hoping to major in English and minor in Philosophy. I've lived on Long Island for my entire life with New York as my backyard. My dad was an editor and is now an English teacher, so I pretty much knew what I was going to fall in love with throughout high school and college. Literature is my one true love; I'm a writer, a debater, and an avid reader. That's not to say it's my only interest; I've been designing and sewing clothes for 8 years, was Vice President of my school's Fashion Club, and wanted to major in fashion design at one point; I've been recreationally horseback riding for 6 years and I used to be a gymnast from the age of 6-12. I grew up in Huntington and Commack, going to private school for most of my life until I went to Commack High School where I took the IB Diploma Program. Safe to say, I was always in a culture of smart and studious people like me. Coming to Macaulay is like going to school with 500 people exactly like you; I honestly have conversations with my friends where we end up completing each other's sentences and screaming about our mutual interests, having only known each other for about a month. Everyone works hard, but on our free days we love to go out and explore the city. I have such a thriving social life due to living in the dorm that I never had at home. I love living in close proximity to everyone, yet having my own personal space at the same time.

This semester I'm taking four classes: English 220, Macaulay Arts Seminar, Philosophy 101, and Psychology 100. Really heavy on the reading and writing! Luckily, I'm getting through it all with some good highlighters, noise-cancelling headphones and the Classical music station on Pandora (check that out, because it's been so helpful for when I study. Also think about investing in noise-cancelling headphones for when your friends just don't understand and you really just want to get in the zone of a fascinating reading on...formal vs. informal philosophy! OK, maybe not so interesting). For an English major though, there are never enough books. I just recently got my hands on the newest John Green novel "The Fault in our Stars". Hold onto your tissues and Haagen-Dazs here guys, it's a real sob-fest. I took some time out of schoolwork one day and read the whole book in one go. Completely heart-wrenching.


Those noise-cancelling headphones were fantastic for my Suits marathon recently. I watched both seasons in a week. Unfortunately noise-cancelling means you can't hear anyone, not that they can't hear you......sobbing and laughing at Harvey Specter's mommy issues and smug smiles. TV addict problems. I've started in on Teen Wolf and now nothing can stop me.

Going to leave you with a great drink place my friends and I found recently on the way back from the Colum McCann talk at Hunter. (His book was amazing, by the way, and that's not just the English major talking. Read it because its all about this amazing city. The characters are so interesting, especially Corrigan. He's my favorite. Ciaran is a close second.) Anyway, I had the Passionfruit and Mango smoothie for a snack/lunch on the way back from Philosophy class today and it was delicious (and not too expensive, may I add). This place is on 24th and Lexington which is so convenient, right off the 6 train or M23 bus on the way to class or back to the dorms. Check it out!

Coco Tea

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment