Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pumpkin, pumpkin everywhere


Literally one month into the semester, and I haven't done a real post yet! Shame on me!!!


Let me introduce/re-introduce myself- My name is Jemi, a senior majoring in Biology on the Pre-dental track. When I'm not in class, I coordinate the Macblog, am a part of the Senior Research Forum team, a member of the Peer mentor group at Hunter, the P.R rep for the Project Sunshine chapter at Hunter,  the Hunter College section editor for the Macaulay Messenger, and I volunteer at a dental clinic in downtown Brooklyn. And oh yeah, I'm afraid I might get allergic to the mice that I just started to really work with on a cerebral malaria project at Weill Cornell. Whew, I think I wrote my entire resume there.

This semester ( my last fall semester ever at Hunter, *GASP*), I'm taking African American Narratives ( to fulfill that last honors class out of 4, finally!), Medical Geography , Physics 110, and Molecular Neurobiology. At "only" 13.5 credits, I thought that this semester would be a "breeze", but I just had to go and jinx that out loud ( by telling everyone hey I'm only taking four classes!) and have multiple sleepless nights already.

As was my habit for the past few years writing for the blog, I often write blog posts when I can't sleep, or when I don't want to do that nagging assignment that's due tomorrow. I've started my first short paper for African American Narratives, but just seemed to busy myself with everything else important in life- organizing my planner, painting my nails, chipping my nails, painting my nails again, and eating dinner.

Enough about my horrible habits though- this past weekend (actually, the weekend before to be exact), I went on a retreat with the Goldsmith Scholars to Petersham, Massachusetts to the Harvard Forest to learn more about the ecological research happening to sustainably bring back forest cover to historic levels.  It was beautiful and amazing to escape the city for a while, which allowed me to milk a goat, pick organic vegetables, witness a tree being sawed in half by a seventy year old, and to climb a CO2 research tower  that was at least 100 feet into the air (and very rickety at that). I now know why many flock to New England to witness fall at its finest.

This picture always calms me- the most beautiful introduction to Fall ever.



The carrot I picked at a sustainable farm up in Petersham, MA. 

The CO2 tower,which Harvard researchers use to analyze CO2 levels. A rickety version of the Tower of Death.
Now that Autumn's here, I can't wait to have pumpkin in everything, from my soup, to my Starbucks drinks, to pies, to bread. Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment