Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Coming Out of Winter Hibernation

Hey guys!

Every time I come on here, I feel like I need to catch you guys up on all the stuff that's been going on in my life. So beware, this is a long post filled with lots of information and pictures. I also feel like I've come out of winter hibernation with all the stuff I've been doing lately. It's been so nice out, so I've actually had a life. So I've had a very fun (but not productive enough) weekend here in the city. It's getting to be pretty nice out lately, mid-50's to 60's (today it was like 80). It's perfect light sweater and scarf weather. Nice weather means a lot of things (see Stacey's post) but for me, it means exploring the city with friends! Friday I went down to Chinatown with Danielle and Sam to get dumplings and mango ice cream (it's getting to be a routine). Afterwards, we strolled through Columbus Park, where there was music, mahjong and a soccer game going on. We did some people watching, which is always interesting in the city.

If you don't know, the 6 train which runs up the East side of Manhattan, stops at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. From there, you can take the 4 or 5 to Brooklyn. But the 6 stops there and turns around to go back up Manhattan. My friend Danielle had the great idea to stay on the train whilst it turned around. There's a hidden subway station that is no longer in use down there; the City Hall station has been inactive for nearly 65 years. Recently, the city tried to restore this gem for the New York Transit Museum, but the idea was killed due to security reasons. Still although not open to the public, it' still possible to see it. We got to see this marvel from the subway car as we made the turnaround. There are these beautiful arched ceilings and skylights that make this station an impeccable work of architecture. The chandeliers are still there, too. It's worth the time to check this out!

 cityhallsubway_v1_460x285.jpg

We then proceeded to Elizabeth Street to check out Christian Siriano's new boutique there. If you don't know who that is, he's a fashion designer who won Project Runway a couple of seasons ago. I met him when I was younger and aspiring to be a fashion designer myself. Fashion is still a big passion of mine, and I love exploring small boutiques, which are numerous in the village. I cry a little bit about how gorgeous some clothes are and I cry a lot about how I can't afford them. Here's a couple of my favorite from the Spring/Summer collection of this year.


Obviously, I like a little bit of girlish frill and detail. His dresses are beautiful to see on the runway, but even more magnificent in person. The detailing is just flawless and the craftsmanship is supreme. I sew myself, so it was a real treat for me to go to his store. After some fangirling (OK a lot), we ventured down Elizabeth Street, stopping at small boutiques along the way, including a sculpture garden with beautiful marble sculptures. It was a nice afternoon spent in the village with some friends.

Thursday night I went out with my father to the Metropolitan Opera House to see Giulio Caesar. It was very long (5 hours) but it was a lot of fun and had this gorgeous set design. I'm very lucky to have the opportunity to go to these types of events. My father gets tickets as a teacher, and we sit in the orchestra next to people in gowns. I felt so underdressed in my jeans and sweater!

Saturday, Danielle and I decided we'd take advantage of the beautiful weather and take our work up to Central Park to sit on the rocks. She packed a picnic lunch of carrots, apples, and peanut butter sandwiches which we munched on as we worked. We stopped at Crumbs Bakery on the way and claimed our free cupcakes with our coupons from New York Deals. I got Peanut Butter Cup and she got Cannoli.

Photo: Crumbcious. #yum


Sunday was spent on my Seminar's walking tour of Sunset Park, Brooklyn. It was an exhausting trip to get there and a two-and-a-half hour tour on foot, but it was interesting enough. The views from the park alone were worth the time spent.



I've also been cooking more lately with my friends. Sunday I made chicken parm over spinach with Stacey and yesterday I made chicken and vegetable soup (with bok choy, broccoli, snap peas, and mushrooms) with Sam.


Today was Free Cone Day at Ben and Jerry's so Stacey and I booked it over to the Herald Square Macy's to get some vanilla ice cream. As with anything in the city that's free, there was a line. It was only about a 5 minute wait though, so it was totally worth it for a delicious snack on such a hot day. Plus, it took us literally 10 minutes to get there from Hunter. Bless the subway system. We'll also be going later today to the Rockefeller Plaza one for some more ice cream. Today has been a gorgeous day (mid 70's, low 80's) and thus was the first day of the season for shorts, which means I got to blind everyone with how incredibly white my legs are.

Erica Siudzinski

3 comments:

  1. I tried to see the City Hall station a while ago, but I guess its not visible at night haha, was it as clear and pretty as in the picture you posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not that clear and pretty. When we went there, it was just a couple of lights, but it was still visible. That picture was taken when the city let a tour group go in, so it's professional. It's definitely worth a shot to see it during the day though, even if you just see part of it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete