Friday, January 30, 2015

Being There

Hey, everyone!

This is my first post of my last semester of college. Wowza.

Classes started up again on Wednesday, and my first class of the semester was "Biology of Cancer" taught by a professor who also happens to be my biology advisor. I've been looking forward to taking this class for a while because I want to eventually work in the medical field. I see this class as an opportunity to get a head start on learning about this still-mysterious disease.

The class has already proved to be informative because of the misconceptions that my professor dismantled when he gave us some statistics from the American Cancer Society about what causes cancer (the two biggest causes are diet and tobacco use). He also gave us a history of the field which showed that for a long time, people didn't really know what to make of cancer. I'm already looking forward to learning more.

On Thursday, I was supposed to meet my other three professors, but one professor was out of town so he cancelled class. That's my other biology class for the semester, "Endocrinology," which I'm also looking forward to. These upper level bio classes tend to be great because they're focused on one area, and you get to know that area of biology very well over the course of the semester.

My other two classes are "Medical Sociology" and "Our Bodies, Our Politics." I'm taking these two classes just for fun, and I'm already loving them. The first looks at the human side of medicine, and the second examines the influence of the outside world on sex and sexuality.

I've also been working on redoing my resume in the last couple of weeks, and my Macaulay advisor has been so helpful in the process. Advisors are one of the best things about Macaulay so definitely make use of their wisdom and connections while you can. I will definitely miss having that guidance when I graduate.

Last Thursday, I celebrated my 22nd birthday. I hung out in the city with my friend during the first part of the day and then, had dinner with my family at night. Great day overall. :)

Atlas
LOVE in Midtown 
My dad bought me 22 roses!
Cake!
As this semester gets off to a start, I'm trying to remind myself to be as present as I can and to just breathe not matter what happens. We tend to rush from one thing to another without experiencing each moment, and when we stress, we forget to breathe. As the work piles up and as I have to wrap up my undergraduate life, I just want to be there for it all. Both the amazing and the difficult moments.

S.

For this last semester, I've decided that I'll just share one cool/interesting/thought-provoking thing that I happen to run across during the week.

Here's the first:

Via Pinterest








No comments:

Post a Comment