Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oh, the Joys of the 4-Day Weekend.

Anyone remember back in October when I wrote about the structure to each day of the week, and how I have Thursdays off? In any case, I have that same off day this semester. Which came especially in handy this week when we had Friday off due to Lincoln's Birthday.

I have no idea why CUNY students have Lincoln's Birthday off. President's Day makes sense considering it's a federal holiday, but other schools, libraries, and the post office are open on Lincoln's Birthday. Regardless, we had off this Friday in observance of the day on Saturday (which incidentally is also Charles Darwin's birthday), and because of my Thursday schedule gap, I had a 4-day weekend.

Having the 4-day weekend also gave me some semblance of a goal when I did the reading for my America and the World in the 20th Century course. It's a really compelling and challenging course, and the reading is appropriately but still unfortunately arduous, at about 180 to 200 pages of reading a week. I scheduled the readings well (well, not that well, considering that I did them the night before - not a good idea) and got to bed at a reasonable time. After that class, I have a 4-and-a-half hour break, which this week I spent doing the homework for my currently-horrendously easy Statistics class while watching the Late Late Show on my iPod.

Thursday was reserved as my "do-nothing" day, but Friday threatened to be the same; luckily, I got out of the dorms and returned library books and CD's, which involved a trek from 2nd and 23rd (home to the local Epiphany Library) to lower Manhattan, across the Brooklyn Bridge and into Downtown Brooklyn to the Business Library. While I didn't make it to Brooklyn before the library was closed, there was a book slot which got the job done. Afterwards I took the train to Trader Joe's and then went to Shake Shack for dinner.

Saturday was spent with my friend Kelly at Coney Island, where I took a few pictures that might end up as a contribution to Arts Night. And today, I did my statistics homework (and hope to do some of my reading for Peopling of New York) while watching the interminably long Grammys.

Oh, and here's this week's Macaulay Vlog.

No comments:

Post a Comment