Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Anti-Advice?

I'm not sure if it's one of those things that everyone feels all the time, or even some of the time, about themselves, but I always get the feeling that I'm being outpaced by everyone around me. Everyone is rushing from classes to work to clubs to internships (and some people to all four at different times), and I wonder if just doing what I'm doing is really good enough. Am I getting the most out of college?

It's easy to second guess yourself, especially when you're surrounded by high-achieving kids who all seem to know exactly what they want. But, this is actually one of the most important things I've learned in college, and it has a backwards logic to it: whatever you happen to be doing is probably just right for your right then. Always comparing and pushing and jabbing at others to get ahead is what we're being trained to do in high school and in college and in graduate and medical, dental, law school, but it isn't the best use of your time. Just do what you can handle with enough breathing room that you can still have that hour to eat or that night to catch up with friends, and you'll find life is much more fulfilling when you look back on this an year from now than if you'd been jealously chasing internships to outdo your peers.

-Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment