Thursday, February 3, 2011

Settling into a groove

First off, it was really exciting to meet some of you (hopefully prospective students ARE reading!) at the Macaulay Class of 2015 interviews last week! To those of you to whom I didn't speak, good luck with all of your applications and your senior year!

I haven't posted in about 2 months, but to be honest, there hasn't been much that I feel anyone would be interested in reading. Basically, I spent all of winter break knitting, reading, and playing with my twin nieces in California. Although, I can recommend a novel! It's called The Fool on the Hill, by Matt Ruff, and it takes place at a magical version of Cornell, complete with telepathic cats and dogs, an author who can talk to the wind, fairies that are named after Shakespearean characters, and an evil, once-fairy who has the power to build armies of rats and to animate inanimate objects. (If you've ever found department store mannequins eerie, as I have, Ruff capitalizes on this by bringing one to life. Yikes!)

Right now, I'm comfortably situated in my bed, sipping my second cup of coffee before my busiest day of the week. My schedule is light Monday through Wednesday, but Thursday features a whopping 5 classes; that's class from noon until 7:00! But I don't have class Fridays, so I suppose that's the price to pay.

My classes are going really well so far. I'm taking Survey of American Literature from the Origins to the Civil War with Professor Knip, who is really laid back. We've started with Native Americans and Explorers, and next week we're starting on the Puritans, which should be...interesting. Then I'm taking German Short Story and Novelle with the lovely Professor Anderson. I know this class is going to be excellent, but right now we're in the middle of assessments to see where everyone's German is, so we haven't started reading yet. I'm also taking German Literature from 1945 to 1995, which is the literature from the divided Germany, Literary Theory, about which I'm still apprehensive, and Workshop in Poetry 2, which will prove to be enjoyable.

Other things: I'm trying to find out how to apply for an internship with Vogue Knitting, and am planning on taking a trip to London this summer to study theater. Yay!

Happy Thursday, everyone.

- Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment