Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mock Trial (AKA How I Spent My Weekend)

How did I spend my Valentine's Day weekend, you ask? In a room with seven other people in the middle of nowhere: Easton, Pennsylvania. It was Hunter's first Mock Trial competition and I was swept into it by my friend Sam because they needed a timer and I pretty much fit the bill since I had no plans for the weekend. So I embarked on a journey, along with the Mock Trial team, to PA.

The competition lasted from Friday to Sunday. It was intense and exciting, very different from my previous thoughts about the courtroom. Their goal was to argue their case, which was either for the plaintiff or defense, by presenting facts through the testimonies of witnesses. This particular case involved the hypothetical death of a young boy named Joey who passed away after swallowing Princess Beads, manufactured by Happyland Toy Co. At first thought, it seems as if the big company is at fault because the media likes to portray businesses as such. But after hearing from witnesses, it appears that both parties are at fault. Watching the competition and seeing the case unfold was really a great experience. It gave me a chance to see the law at work, albeit a portrayal and not an actual trial.

After the day's festivities, we all retreated to the hotel which was cozy to say the least, because Mock Trial didn't have enough funds to spring for another room. So 8 of us crammed into one room and let's just say, I didn't get much sleep because there was a lot of rehearsing, chatting, and all around tomfoolery going around. That aside, the competition was truly wonderful and I'm glad I got to spend some time with Sam and the rest of Mock Trial, instead of holing up in my room, doing homework, alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment