Sunday, February 13, 2011

Another City

My three day weekend would have been a three day weekend regardless, but I still found a way to make it a holiday.

I am writing this blog entry from a Greyhound bus, on my way back from Buffalo. I spent the weekend visiting my boyfriend in at his school.

The bus is pretty comfortable. I took night buses both ways, so travel time is not an issue. When I did stay awake, there was free wifi (for my free Macbook :)

Still in terms of transport, everything went wrong that could have. Only a small small fraction of Greyhound's fleet leaves out of Penn Station instead of Port Authority, and I took a hundred bad directions and got very, very lost, before deciding to go to the main bus transport hum and have my bus changed. When on the bus, a movement caused my main bag to shift and get sent to Canada. The hotline is closed on the weekend and I am still in the process of getting my belongings back.

I learned that I really don't need half a much as I thought I did, not just in terms of clothing. I found life on a dorm-centric campus to be much like living on Hunter. But there was a sense of having limits in choices. What kind of "city" has a Subway system that closes at 11? If my NYC experience was to be duplicated away from the big apple, I might have starved, when confined to meal times.

My boyfriend and his friends seem very content though. This lifestyle seems to suit them more than it does my classmates.

As for me, I was really very happy to spend every waking hour with my boyfriend. All you need is love.

Love can travel across 400 miles without getting misplaced. It is flexible, can handle my unconventional sleeping habits and survive being in a different city.

(Even if the Macaulay Honors College attempts to assert its dominance in rescheduling the Seminar II launch event for Valentine's Day Eve :/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment