Saturday, February 19, 2011

tired and just a little sickie.

I am very burnt out. after a week of meetings about transferring (again, I am not sure if this is going to happen but it doesn't hurt to have my options open), trying to stay on schedule with going to the gym/yoga, drama with the man, coming home from california on monday at 1:30am, the job and the internship, I really just want to take a nap. which is totally fine and acceptable...except that I have way too much work to do that.

probably the most frustrating thing on my plate right now is mhc150. yes, it is writing intensive and maybe this is just me whining, but it's literally a 6-7 page (if not more than that) essay due every week along with 90 pages of reading. I don't understand how more work makes a meaningful class. honestly, the conversations in class are dull -- the reading and the writing don't help make the class any more interesting. I have a few problems with this class:
1. each class studies, for the most part, a different section of the city, BUT you don't choose your class based on this and this isn't made public when you're choosing classes. uh, aren't classes usually chosen on content? yeah.
2. relating to point #1, the fact that no one in my class is interested in the material makes it a little difficult to have an interesting, thought-provoking discussion because no one really cares. some people sleep, some people (namely myself) participate out of pity for a professor who is standing at the front of a room looking at a sea of blank stares and some people sit on their laptops for the duration of the 2.5 hours.
3. you're forced to take the class -- which isn't annoying because of the requirement (all colleges have required classes, duh), but because, again, relating to #1, you don't get to choose the class you want to be in and they have you sit there for 2.5 hours which is just bad and makes all the work even more tedious and pointless. also, it makes all the field trips and out of class requirements annoying -- I don't want to spend my day off walking around east harlem, or spend my time going to the tenement museum when I didn't want to take the class in the first place.

okay, I'm done whining. I promise. if you couldn't tell, I am procrastinating writing an essay for this class and have resolved to just not do the required readings simply because I don't have enough time to do them when I'm swamped with a 6-7 page essay that is unrelated to the reading...or anything at all, for that matter. seriously.

and so my long weekend will be spent writing this paper, going to the met to sketch some sculptures for a paper (which, by the way, you do not see me whining about because I opted to take art history and am therefore okay with doing work that it involves), writing transfer applications and reading, reading, reading my textbooks. shouldn't this weekend be enjoyable? alas, I doubt it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment