Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Walk in the Park

Hi everyone!

I had a really great weekend. Since I finish class at 2:30 on Thursdays and don't have class on Fridays, it leaves me a whole extra night to do work and have fun. My friends, Sam, Danielle, Trevor and I decided to watch some movies (Brokeback Mountain and Donnie Darko) and make it a night in, snacks included. Friday I spent doing homework and relaxing because I was getting ready to go out all weekend.

So Saturday and Sunday have been my big days this weekend. Saturday I went out to lunch with my friends Stacey and Ariel to this Cambodian sandwich shop on 25th and Broadway called Num Pang sandwich shop. I got the Coconut Tiger Shrimp sandwich and it was amazing! They make all their sandwiches with these tasty baguettes and their signature chili mayo.


I'm not really a sandwich person, but it was a perfect lunch. I was amazed I had never been to this place because it's right by the dorms and only a couple blocks from the 6 train. Stop by there if you ever get the chance.

After this, we decided to meet up with some my friends Dan, Maya, and Danielle to go to this event at the Rubin Museum, on 17th between 6th and 7th. If you don't know, the Rubin Museum is a specialized museum for the art of the Himalayas. It's small and modern. The rooms are rather tiny and crowded with a lot of people, but the color scheme is so relaxing; burgundy, navy, and dark grey. There was an event going on there called Samsara Night: Journey to Enlightenment. This was the museum's teen event; admission and snacks were free. (We get in free as Macaulay students with our Cultural Passes anyway. One of the advantages of going to Macaulay is that we get in free to all of these great museums.) There were tour guides showing us around the museum; each floor had a theme based on the Wheel of Life, which divides the world into realms; human, animal, demigod, and god, as well as others.



We went through the Human Realm, the God Realm, and the Hell Realm. Each floor had a 15 minute introduction or story related to a piece of artwork, then a craft activity with a professional artist. I made a sketch of Buddha, attempted learning to knit, and other great activities. At the end we had an Enlightenment party where we learned how to dance, applied henna, and ate vegetable dumplings. Sam is an artist and did this beautiful and intricate henna design on his arm. It'll be there for about a month! He's gonna learn how to do it better and buy his own henna and practice on us.


This was only the beginning of our night though. We went to Hunter to see the Vagina Monologues and to support our friend, Anna. I had already seen the other Eve Ensler play, Emotional Creature, a couple months earlier with the original cast. Although this was a student production of her work, it was a really good one! I would definitely recommend seeing both of these fabulous plays. They're very emotional and almost disturbing in some sections, but they really raise the feminist sentiment in everyone. We finished the night with dinner down in Chinatown. We ordered a whole ton of food, from soup dumplings and chicken lo mein to bok choy and rice balls, and split it all. I went to bed a very happy and full girl.

This morning, I woke up and trekked over to the Macaulay building on the Upper West Side with Sam and Stacey for the spring Macaulay Tech Fair. We learned how to make websites and critiqued past ones for our Seminar 2 project for Peopling of New York. Even though my class is making documentaries, a lot of what we went over will be important for future projects. Stacey is a sucker for sweets, so she constantly drags me to different bakeries. Therefore, we got Magnolia Bakery cupcakes on the way there. Sam and Stacey got a Pistachio cupcake and a Hummingbird (banana, pineapple, and pecan) cupcake. Magnolia Bakery has many locations throughout the city; we ended up at the 69th and Columbus location. 

(Credit to my friend Sam)

Macaulay had a whole bunch of food after the Tech Fair and we scored free wraps and fruit! We took our lunch over to Central Park and sat on the benches, people-watching and munching. Today was a beautiful day and we took advantage of the nice weather to meander through the park, look at little kids with their families, runners, and people walking their dogs. We finally ended up at the Plaza and got on the 59th street subway back to the dorms. When it gets a bit warmer, I can start spending time between classes eating and sunning in the park. Tonight for dinner, Sam, Danielle, and I are making Chicken in tomato sauce with sautéed spinach over pasta and couscous. Dinner basically works as a communal thing where everyone contributes ingredients. I gave chicken and spices, Danielle brought spinach and tomato sauce, and Sam brought couscous and pasta. It's gonna be super delicious. Maybe we'll grab some Red Mango later tonight.

I'm just so excited that spring seems to be in the air. It's putting me in such a good mood!

Erica

1 comment: